Google demo'ed Google Wave today. I was in the audience as Google presented the answer to the question: "What would email look like if a creative team of visionaries and brilliant engineers backed by a multi-billion dollar company were chartered with inventing the future of email?" Google Wave is an entire new protocol (like IMAP or POP) for email. Here are some basics:
- Open source.
- Standards based.
- Web based.
Of course all of those items fit just about anything that Google produces.
Google Wave is a new way to think about mail. Wave takes mail beyond text and attachments. Wave is a complete communication platform. Wave takes threaded email and
- Mail (of course)
- Realtime multi-user concurrent collaboration
- Embed Video, maps...anything.
- Embed Gadgets...you can add functionality to email.
- Realtime chat...with no waiting...(*as* each person types the letters appear on other chat participants screens)
- Publish to a blog automatically with a cool Wave technology called Robots (how Google is *that*)
Here are just a few of the impressive elements of Wave demo'ed today:
- Realtime translation... type in French...read it in English (or any of 42 supported languages).
- Polling... zero code polling with realtime results.
- Granular privacy control of every element of a Wave.