NEWS ENTREPRENEUR BOOT CAMP 2010
NEWS ENTREPRENEUR BOOT CAMP 2010
Knight Digital Media Center
Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism, University of Southern California
In partnership with the USC Greif Center for Entrepreneurial Studies, the Center for Communication Leadership and Public Policy, and the Online Journalism Review
May 16 - May 21, 2010
The Knight Digital Media Center (in partnership with the USC Greif Center for Entrepreneurial Studies, the USC Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism, the Center for Communication Leadership and Public Policy, and the Online Journalism Review) will hold a special News Entrepreneur Boot Camp from May 16-21, 2010, in Los Angeles. This expenses-paid intense one-week boot camp is designed for 20 competitively selected digital entrepreneurs with great ideas for community news and information initiatives in the public interest. Topics to be covered include:
* Identifying the best business model for sustained success.
* Developing a feasibility plan.
* Audience development and customer acquisition.
* Developing and implementing revenue and advertising strategies.
* Successful social networking models.
* Understanding and using analytics.
Traditional news organizations are floundering as business models collapse and audiences are increasingly turning to alternative news and information sources. This special boot camp is designed for digital journalists and others who are passionate about new ideas for serving the information and news needs of their communities but who lack the grounding in business and startup skills. Expert faculty from both academia and the private sector will provide intense instruction, coaching and mentoring on developing marketable business plans for providing news and information in the public interest.
WHO SHOULD APPLY: *Successful applicants will provide a concise and clear proposal for a digital initiative that services specific community news and information needs and will meet the following expertise criteria:
* Digital fluency. Must be able to independently create and manage digital content in an online environment. Most important, must understand technology as tool and online as a community.
* Business/math aptitude. Must be comfortable and competent in math and business environment.
* Topic Expertise. Must demonstrate experience/expertise in targeted topic/service area.
* Collaborative. Must demonstrate previous experience in working productively with others on projects requiring innovation.
* Value-driven. Must be committed to values of accuracy, balance, fairness, credibility, inclusion, transparency and public service.
* Committed to Community Leadership. Must be able to identify and understand the dynamics of community information needs and be committed to servicing those needs.
*WHEN AND WHERE:* May 16-21, 2010
University of Southern California
Los Angeles, CA
*COST:* Fellowships include lodging and meals during the boot camp and cost of instruction. A partial travel subsidy will be provided.
*HOW TO APPLY:* Applications must be submitted online at http://www.knightdigitalmediacenter.org/boot_camp_applications/.
*DEADLINE:* Friday, February 19, 2010
QUESTIONS:* Please contact, Vikki Porter, Director, Knight Digital Media Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 213-821-0071.