Data Visualization for Storytellers
Create Meaning from Data March 21-22, 2014
A deluge of data is being made available for public use. In raw-form, large complex data sets are difficult to understand and interpret. Having the tools and techniques to present illustrated data to your audience with aesthetic form and functionality are critical for conveying ideas effectively.
Data Visualization for Storytellers is a two-day, hands-on certificate program focused on communicating complex information with visually appealing charts, graphs and maps. Participants will learn to create a clearer, more meaningful picture of complex information and publicly available data, tell stories with interactive maps, and create beautiful and effective graphs and charts.
Data Visualization for Storytellers is ideal for people interested in a rapid-paced, immersive experience in data visualization tools & techniques. This workshop is ideal for scientists, communication professionals, journalists, bloggers, educators and those interested in becoming proficient in learning to communicate data with clarity and creativity.
- Learn to employ good graphic design techniques with data visualizations.
- Create interactive data illustrations for the web.
- Learn to create interactive maps.
- Clearly communicate data with annotated timelines and motion charts.
- Employ best practices for using interactive databases to create visualizations and maps that tell stories with data.
You'll enjoy personalized small class instruction from expert instructors. This program is a skill-based learning experience for beginners in data visualization. You'll work hands-on with the tools and create real examples of charts, graphs and maps. This assures that you will be able to apply your new skill set immediately upon completion of the workshop.
When: March 21 & 22, 2014 from 9:00am to 4:00 pm daily.
Where: University of California, Berkeley, North Gate Hall map
Lodging: Information is available on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Instruction: Led by Tasneem Raja, kdmcBerkeley's Data Visualization Guest Instructor and John C. Osborn, kdmcBerkeley's Data Visualization Guest Instructor.
- All participants must bring their own laptop for use during this workshop and it must be WiFi ready.
- The level of this workshop is beginning.
- Participants must be comfortable with technical subjects and learning in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of Excel spreadsheets or Google drive is recommended. Spreadsheet Tutorial
- A personal Google gmail account is required for this class. Please remember to bring your user login and password information with you.
- Proficiency in English.
Questions: Please contact Vicki Hammarstedt via phone at 510.642.3892 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $175.00 cancellation fee.
- We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
- Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
- Changes to the registration at anytime are only by approval of kdmcBerkeley administration.
- The kdmcBerkeley reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of kdmcBerkeley. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
- The kdmcBerkeley will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The kdmcBerkeley is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.