About Alexandra Nicolas
ALEXANDRA NICOLAS is a digital content editor for CNHI and a web producer for The Joplin Globe in Joplin, MO. She specializes in location based applications, social media curation and data visualization. Her personal interests include food security issues, camping and water sports.
December 2011 Digital Storytelling Workshop Project:
- Occupation: Digital Content Editor
- Organization: The Joplin Globe
- Location: Joplin, MO 64804
- Twitter: lexienicolas
- Facebook: arnicolas
- Was accepted for Dec 11-16 2011 Digital Storytelling.
Digital media stories published elsewhere by Alexandra Nicolas:
- The Moore Tornado: Walking the path of destruction 
A team of journalists walked the path of the Moore, Okla tornado collecting stories of the storm and meeting people in the process of recovery. The feature is packaged in a scrolling format that leads the reader through the narrative with graphics, videos, photos and other features blended into the text.
- How journalists can use location-based apps as a reporting tool 
As geo-tagged information is becoming more widely available, so are the options for how journalists can use it. Location-based service applications designed to use geo-tagged posts — like Banjo, Sonar and Geofeedia — can help journalists find story ideas, develop new sources, and track news events through people posting from the scene.
- Retiree's baking project sends thousands of cookies overseas 
Retiree Bonnie Grace bakes hundreds of cookies a week, packages them with the help of friends and mails them to troops serving overseas.
- Will Norton: Life lived on, off line 
This piece was published as part of a package on the Joplin High School class of 2011. They completed their graduation ceremony minutes before an EF-5 tornado destroyed roughly a third of Joplin, Mo. The final product covers the senior year of Will Norton, the only 2011 graduate who died in the storm. Told using his own posts to social networking sites, the piece gave us a chance to share a year of ordinary and sometimes goofy moments of a student who is now largely defined by his death.
Content on this site written by Alexandra Nicolas (includes contributory writing):
- Triple Rock Brewery
- During our six-day workshop, fellows produce videos that spotlight local businesses in the UC Berkeley area. This video was produced as a part of the Knight Digital Media Center's December ...
- How KDMC Workshops Can Impact Your Newsroom
- Since coming back from KDMC in December, we've been working with members of our newsroom to improve their skills and spread the things we learned in California. One of our ...