About Ingrid Sturgis
STURGIS, INGRID is currently on faculty at Howard University as an assistant professor/new media in the Department of Journalism. Ingrid began working in interactive media in 1985 as a member of The New York Times’ videotext project. She has worked online since 2001, most recently as a content consultant for heartandsoul.com, where she recently moved the site to WordPress. She also worked as a senior programming manager for AOL’s Black Voices, the No. 1 Web site for African-Americans, and as editor at Essence.com. Previously, she worked as a managing editor for startups BET Weekend and Savoy. In addition, Ingrid has worked for several newspapers, including The Philadelphia Inquirer, the Times-Herald Record and the Poughkeepsie Journal. She is the author of the critically acclaimed “The Nubian Wedding Book: Words and Rituals to Celebrate and Plan an African-American Wedding,” and the anthology “Aunties: 35 Writers Celebrate Their Other Mother.” As assistant professor/new media at Howard, she strives to empower students through social media. Her academic research interests are social networking, multimedia entrepreneurship, the black press, the digital divide and online education.
- Occupation: Content specialist, journalism professor
- Organization: Heart & Soul magazine, Howard University
- Location: Somerset, NJ 08873 USA
- Website: http://digitaldivacommunications.com/
- Twitter: @isturgis
- Facebook: facebook.com/isturgis
- Delicious: http://www.diigo.com/user/nubianwed
- Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/isturgis/
- Skype: nubianwed (Call me!)
- Google Talk: isturgis
- Was accepted for Feb 22-26 2010 Web 2.0 Training.
Digital media stories published elsewhere by Ingrid Sturgis:
- New Site Combines Social Networking and Digital Media 
News Entrepreneurs Boot Camp fellow Ingrid Sturgis helped produce fully-connected.com, which "connects people from Atlanta to Accra through engaging journalism and social networking."
Content on this site written by Ingrid Sturgis (includes contributory writing):