military records


Records on people who served in the military are available from the U.S. government.

However, you have to formally equest the records. Only very basic information is available online at websites that have posted data on military service.

The main federal government depository for military records is the:

National Archives

See the U.S. National Archives web page on Access to Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) - for the General Public

The records are kept at the National Personnel Records Center, St. Louis. Requests for records can be made there in writing. 

Filed under: Public Records