recorder's office

Liquor Licenses

A business or person that is about to buy a liquor license from another business or person that already has an existing license to sell alcoholic beverages in California, will file a notice of intent to sell alcoholic beverages with a county recorder's office.

The document lists:

  • the business or person from whom the license is being purchased
  • the business or person buying the license
  • the name and address of the bar, restaurant or other establishment that will sell the alcohol.

Alcoholic Beverage Control Department

Liquor licenses are regulated by the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control, commonly referred to as the ABC.

The ABC also has an online database you can search by an address or by the name of an individual or business to get information on liquor licenses.