Editing Final Cut Pro Audio Files
You can export a single audio file from a Final Cut Pro video project to Soundtrack Pro for precise editing of audio files. Or you can export a multitrack file of audio and video from Final Cut Pro to Soundtrack Pro for audio editing.
If you work with a single audio file in Soundtrack Pro, when you save all your changes they will simultaneously be changed in Final Cut Pro.
If you export a multitrack project, you will have to re-import a mixed down file into Final Cut Pro, and you then won't have individual audio tracks to work with in Final Cut Pro. So you should finish editing the video before exporting and editing a multitrack audio project in Soundtrack Pro.
Exporting a Single Audio File into Soundtrack Pro
1. In Final Cut Pro, find the audio file in the sequence window you would like to edit in Soundtrack Pro. Click on it once to highlight it.
2. Next press and hold down the CTL key on your keyboard and click again on the file.
3. A menu will appear. Choose Send To, and then Soundtrack Pro Audio File Project.
4. Soundtrack Pro will open and you will be able to edit your audio clips. When you save in Soundtrack Pro, the changes will be reflected in the Final Cut Pro audio file in the sequence.
Exporting a Multitrack Project into Soundtrack Pro
1. In Final Cut Pro, double click in the browser on the sequence you want to edit. Then press and hold down the Apple key on your keyboard and press the A key to highlight your entire video sequence.
2. Next press and hold down the CTL key on your keyboard and click again on one of the audio files in the sequence.
3. A menu will appear. Choose Send To, and then Soundtrack Pro Multitrack Project.
4. Soundtrack Pro will open and the multitrack project will appear. You can edit your audio, but the changes will NOT be reflected in the Final Cut Pro sequence.
5. When you are done editing, export the mix by going to Soundtrack Pro's File menu, and choosing Export and Export Mix. Select a name and a folder for the mixed audio file.
6. Open up Final Cut Pro and in the File menu choose Import.
7. Navigate to the audio mix you exported from Soundtrack Pro and it then will appear in Final Cut Pro's Browser.
8. Click and drag the audio mix into a new audio track on the Timeline for your sequence. Drag the file to the very beginning of the Timeline.
You then can either delete or mute the other old audio tracks.