Dec 12-17 2010 Interactive Census Workshop
North Gate Hall, UC Berkeley
The KDMC at UC Berkeley is offering a customized visual storytelling workshop to train journalists on new ways to process data from the 2010 Census. Fellows will illustrate the information using visualization and mapping tools to create a clearer, more meaningful picture of the complex statistics gathered in the national survey.
In this intensive six-day workshop, you will learn to create cutting-edge interactive graphics. The skills and tools you learn will benefit your newsroom and your career long after the census.
- Tell stories with interactive GIS maps
- Clean and prepare U.S. Census data
- Create beautiful and effective interactive charts; and
- Build close connections with 19 great visual storytellers
Brainstorm your coverage with industry experts
- Dante Chinni, Project Director, Author, Our Patchwork Nation, The Christian Science Monitor
- William Frey, Demographer and Senior Fellow with the Metropolitan Policy Program at the Brookings Institution
- Jerry Wong, US Census Bureau
- Susan Rasky, Senior Lecturer, UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism and former New York Times Washington correspondent.
If you want to know more about the workshop, view a draft version of the agenda. It's subject to a little change and we are still waiting on confirmation from a couple of speakers.
This is an advanced workshop. Ideal applicants will have some basic experience with at least one of the following:
- Computer Assisted Reporting
- News graphics
- News design
- Web site production
All applicants should be familiar with basic HTML tags but do not need to be programmers.
Applications are closed
But stay tuned. We may add more data visualization workshops in the future.
You can also check our Frequently Asked Questions
Application deadline was Nov 7, 2010 11:59 p.m.
Some presentations from this workshop were webcast live.
Archived webcasts may be viewed below.
The following presentations were provided to workshop participants but not publicly webcast.
The following people attended this workshop as "fellows."
- Ronald Campbell
- Julia Mccue
- Meghan Hoyer
- Wm Pitzer
- Emilie Raguso
- David Barreda
- Ruben Moreno
- Sean Lahman
- Paiching Wei
- Bob Rebach
- Mark Friesen
- Tom Giratikanon
- Kevin Wiatrowski
- Geoff Mcghee
- Ryan Mcneill
- Jason Klein
- Aileen Gallagher
- Sandra Oshiro
- Agustin Armendariz
- Max Rust
- Sharon Mcnary
- Tasneem Raja
Log in to see all projects for this workshop.