Advanced Data Visualization: Mapping
Design Powerful Geo Maps January 8-9, 2015
Maps tell us the "where" of the story in a glance. They are an effective visual tool for communicating ideas, explaining complex concepts, illustrating relationships or for telling a story.
Advanced Data Visualization: Mapping is a two-day, hands-on workshop that will allow users to take geodata in common formats and then process it to reveal the stories it contains. Participants will learn to create visually stunning, interactive maps from complex information.
Advanced Data Visualization: Mapping is ideal for career professionals interested in a rapid-paced, immersive experience in advanced data visualization mapping tools & techniques. This workshop is ideal for marketing communicators, analysts, scientists, journalists, web editors, educators and those interested in advancing their data visualization mapping skills. To see examples of maps you'll learn to create, click through these advanced mapping examples designed and published by your instructor: Bio Map, Earth Map & Conflict Map
You will learn:
- To display geographic data in QGIS and to use geocoding for creating static maps ;
- To process geodata in vector formats and raster images (such as satellite images) with QGIS/GDAL;
- To design customized tile layers from the processed data using TileMill and CartoCSS;
- To display these layers in digital format over an online base map;
- To create a multi-layered online maps using Leaflet;
- To import real time data from a web API and display it with customized styling.
- To use and apply advanced mapping tools such as QGIS, TileMill, CartoCSS and CartoDB/Torque for creating highly interactive, data driven maps.
You'll enjoy personalized small class instruction from expert instructors. This program is an applied learning experience for intermediate to advanced practitioners in data mapping. You'll work hands-on with the tools and create real examples of interactive maps. This assures that you will be ready to apply your new skill set immediately upon completion of the workshop and leave with concrete examples of highly effective illustrated stories with data visualizations.
When: January 8-9, 2015 from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm daily.
Where: University of California, Berkeley, North Gate Hall map
Tuition Discount when registering for both the Visualizing Data for Storytellers: Mapping & Advanced Data Visualization: Mapping workshops. You'll receive a 25% tuition discount off standard pricing. To receive the combined discount for four days of mapping, January 6, 7, 8 & 9, 2015 please register here before December 1, 2014. Combined discounted tuition is $1,117.50 USD
Lodging: Information is available on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
- All participants must bring their own laptop for use during this workshop and it must be WiFi ready.
- The level of this workshop is intermediate. Basic data visualization experience is required.
- Participants must be comfortable with technical subjects and learning in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of Excel spreadsheets or Google drive is required. SPREADSHEET TUTORIAL
- A personal Google gmail account is required for this class. Please remember to bring your user login and password information with you.
- Proficiency in English.
Questions: Please contact Vicki Hammarstedt via phone at 510.642.3892 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Refund & Cancellation Policy
- Cancellations must be received in writing by email to email@example.com
- Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $175.00 cancellation fee.
- We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
- Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
- Changes to the registration at anytime are only by approval of kdmcBerkeley administration.
- The kdmcBerkeley reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of kdmcBerkeley. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
- The kdmcBerkeley will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The kdmcBerkeley is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.