Data Driven Maps
Data driven maps are an effective visual tool to communicate ideas, explain complex concepts, illustrate relationships or tell a story. The kdmcBerkeley Data Driven Maps workshop will give you essential skills needed to transform data into visually descriptive maps.
This two-day Certificate workshop is a hands-on program focused on applying Geographical Information Systems (GIS) tools to visualize data with industry standard techniques. Participants will learn to utilize publicly available map files and data to build layered and informative maps.
You'll enjoy personalized small class instruction in a state of the art Mac lab. This program is a hands-on skill based learning experience. Upon completion of a kdmcBerkeley workshop, partipants have the knowledge and tools necessary to apply their new skill set immediately.
Data Driven Maps is ideal for people interested in a rapid-paced immersive experience in data mapping. This workshop is ideal for scientists, communications professionals, journalists, educators and those interested in becoming proficient in learning to communicate geographic data.
- Create awesome interactive maps for and the web.
- Learn good design techniques for visually appealing maps.
- Learn to import and, or create custom map styles to illustrate data effectively.
- Learn to communicate your story using data and maps.
- Create and edit custom map layers.*
- Understand and appreciate GIS concepts and methodology.
- Receive hands-on instruction in QGIS, a free, open source GIS tool.
- Convert addresses to map locations (geocoding.)
- Load maps directly from the web, such as radar maps from the National Weather Service.
*Workshop will not address drawing GIS maps from scratch.
If you want to know more about the workshop, view a draft version of the agenda.
What People Are Saying: "Outstanding. It exceeded my expectations. Informative, engaging and Len made the QGIS understandable and approachable in a short time frame. It was very hands on and the support staff did an excellent job of keeping everyone on track..."
– Chuck Todd, Deputy Graphics Director, Bay Area News Group. July 2012 Data Mapping Workshop
Tuition Pricing: $675- Save 10% when you register by April 1, 2013
When: April 19-20, 2013 from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm daily.
Where: University of California, Berkeley, North Gate Hall map
Meals: Morning Coffee and Lunch will be provided.
Lodging: Information is available on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Instruction: Led by Len De Groot, KDMC's Interactive Design and Data Instructor at the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism.
- Previous mapping experience is not required.
- Participants must be comfortable with technical subjects and learning in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of Excel is recommended.
- Proficiency in English.
- Cancellations must be received in writing by email or fax 15 days prior to the start of the program.
A $175.00 fee will be assessed for canceled registrations.
- We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
- Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
- The KDMC reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of KDMC. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
- The KDMC will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The KDMC is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.