A deluge of data is being made available for public use. In raw-form, large complex data sets are difficult to understand and interpret. Having the tools and techniques to present illustrated data to your audience with aesthetic form and functionality are critical for conveying ideas effectively.
Data Visualization is a two-day, hands-on certificate program focused on communicating complex information with visually appealing charts, graphs and maps. Participants will learn to create a clearer, more meaningful picture of complex statistics and publicly available data, tell stories with interactive GIS maps, and create beautiful and effective graphs and charts.
You'll enjoy personalized small class instruction in a state of the art Mac lab. This program is a skill-based learning experience. Participants will be able to apply their new skill set immediately upon completion of the workshop.
Data Visualization is ideal for people interested in a rapid-paced, immersive experience in data visualization. This workshop is ideal for scientists, communications professionals, journalists, educators and those interested in becoming proficient in learning to communicate data with clarity and creativity.
- Learn to employ good graphic design techniques with data visualizations.
- Create interactive data illustrations for the web.
- Learn to create interactive maps & heat maps.
- Clearly communicate data with annotated timelines and motion charts.
- Employ best practices for using interactive databases to create visualizations and maps that tell stories with data.
Tuition Pricing: $645 USD- Registration Closed-this workshop is full. Contact Vicki Hammarstedt if interested in future Data Visualization workshops.
When: January 7-8, 2012 from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm daily.
Where: University of California, Berkeley, North Gate Hall map
Meals: Morning Coffee and Lunch will be provided.
Lodging: Information is available on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
- The level of this workshop is intermediate. While previous experience with data visualization tools and techniques is not required, familiarity with data sets is helpful.
- Participants must be comfortable with technical subjects and learning in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of Excel is recommended.
- Proficiency in English.
- Cancellations must be received in writing by email or fax 15 days prior to the start of the program.
A $175.00 fee will be assessed for canceled registrations.
- We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
- Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
- The kdmcBerkeley reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of kdmcBerkeley. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
- The kdmcBerkeley will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The kdmcBerkeley is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.