Digital Media Skills Certificate
Empowering the next generation of digital media storytellers. This intensive 9-week graduate level certificate program focuses on the strategic implementation and production of digital media content for a web facing and mobile-first audience.
You’ll experience best practices for telling stories to an online audience—through social media, on the web and to a mobile audience. You’ll learn to engage with video, digital photography, audio recordings, and data visualizations. You’ll have the tools and storytelling skills to produce, edit and post content 24/7. This includes having the skills to code or use tools for quick production. Upon completion of this program, participants will have the knowledge and tools necessary to apply your new skill set immediately to your profession.
In this certificate program you will:
- Learn to choose the best media for telling stories on multiple digital platforms
- Develop strategies for multimedia production and delivery on mobile devices
- Learn to develop the narrative in your digital story
- Understand storyform and how to develop creative visual stories
- Learn to produce engaging content for social media platforms
- Produce visual content and learn to edit video and photos to produce an engaging video
- Become skilled in creating quality audio for videos or podcasts that engage audiences
- Learn to create interactive data visualizations, charts, graphs and maps to tell stories
- Become versed in the fundamentals of coding: HTML, and CSS for efficient editing
- Learn best practices for on-camera interviewing and how to prepare a subject for the interview
- Produce a final digital media capstone project using digital skills and new media technologies and tools
- Return to your organization with a new understanding and appreciation of the technologies changing the storytelling medium, as well as a new set of skills that will make you a fluent, active and engaging digital media content producer
Who Should Attend
This is ideal for all content creators, advertising specialists, journalists, editors, new media managers, media professionals, content marketers, communications and PR, educators and web producers.
Live Q&A Session
View the recording of our Facebook Live Q&A session with instructor Chris Schodt (pinned to the top of our Facebook page).
Presentations by world-class trainers, award winning journalists and new media industry leaders: Richard Koci Hernandez, Emmy award winning inspirational leader, Mateo Hoke, AJ+ video producer, Jeremy Rue, data visualization expert Jaeah Lee, Ben Manilla, award winning radio personality, Kim Komenich, renowned photographer, Chris Schodt, multimedia producer, and more.
Pre-Assessment Form: Please complete. This assessment is to help us understand the skill level of participants registered for the course. It is not an application. If you have questions please contact us at email@example.com
Digital Media Skills Certificate Course Syllabus
Spring 2017 – exact dates coming soon. This is a 9-week course. Classes are held Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6pm to 9pm. We will also offer optional guided lab sessions.
In addition, we will offer optional site visits to leading San Francisco Bay Area media companies – to be announced soon. Transportation costs for these visits are not included in the tuition.
University of California, Berkeley, Graduate School of Journalism. 121 North Gate Hall, Berkeley, CA. Map
Special offer when you register with a friend or colleague.
- This is an intermediate course.
- It is the participant’s responsibility to provide their own Equipment & Software, including:
- WiFi-ready laptop with at least 8GB memory
- Video camera, microphone, & tripod for 2 to 3 days in October (check back for dates) for video shoot (see Equipment & Software for rental options)
- Smartphone-compatible lavalier microphone OR handheld reporter mic
- External hard drive (Formatted for Mac or PC)
- Adobe Creative Cloud (7-day free trial + at least 2 additional paid months to use for the remainder of the course)
- Computer literacy skills
- Comfortable with learning new equipment and software
- Proficiency with English
Please contact Diane Villadsen via phone at 510.642.6049 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
VISA questions? Please contact email@example.com.
Travel, lodging and other information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Cancellations must be received in writing by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $275.00 cancellation fee.We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
- Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
- Changes to the registration at anytime are only by approval of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute administration.
- The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
- Berkeley Advanced Media Institute will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.