The changing digital media landscape requires a new skill set in multimedia content production. To stay ahead in the new media environment you must be proficient in storytelling with video, photography and data visualization tools and technologies. Plus, be a producer of online content to websites, news sites, blogs, and social networks.
This intensive two-week program provides seminar style and hands-on training in essential skills for digital media production. The institute is ideal for journalists, educators and communication professionals interested in a rapid-paced immersive experience in multimedia content creation through delivery.
In this workshop you will:
- Learn to choose the best media for telling stories on digital platforms.
- Develop strategies for multimedia production and delivery on the desktop, the mobile device or tablet.
- Learn to develop the narrative in your multimedia story.
- Employ best practices for writing for the web, understanding voice and framing.
- Produce visual content and learn to edit video (with Adobe Premiere Pro CS6) and photos culminating in a video/photo project.
- Learn to use databases and create interactive data visualizations, charts, graphs and maps to tell stories.
- Become versed in the fundamentals of HTML and CSS for web page editing.
- Create compelling social media content for community engagement.
- Learn best practices for on-camera interviewing and developing your own on-camera presence.
- Produce a final project incorporating all multimedia in an online format.
- Return to your organization with a new understanding and appreciation of the technologies changing the storytelling medium, as well as a new set of skills that will make you a fluent, active and engaging multimedia producer.
- Plus! Earn 7 Continuing Education Units (CEU’s)
UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism instruction and guest presentations by world-class trainers, award winning multimedia journalists, storytellers and industry leaders.
June 2-6 & June 9-13, 2014
This institute is two-weeks in length. Instruction is Monday through Friday, 8:30 am- 5:00 pm daily.
What people are saying: “In two weeks, I learned more than I have in years about digital and social media from knowledgeable experts. I acquired online media skills that will allow me to be competitive in today’s workforce.”
-Scott Hatfield, Multimedia Journalists, Documentary Producer/Director, 2012 Multimedia Storytelling Institute
University of California, Berkeley – Graduate School of Journalism, North Gate Hall. Map
Registration is closed for this workshop.
- Basic computer literacy and skills.
- A WiFi ready laptop during the workshop.
- Beginning experience with social media platforms.
Travel, lodging and other information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Please contact Vicki Hammarstedt via phone at 510.642.3892 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $275.00 cancellation fee.
- We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
- Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
- Changes to the registration at anytime are only by approval of kdmcBerkeley administration.
- The kdmcBerkeley reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of kdmcBerkeley. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
- The kdmcBerkeley will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The kdmcBerkeley is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.