Video For Storytellers
Photo by MovieingMemories.com
Powerful video impacts events and lives. Video is now a truly democratic and accessible medium no longer requiring high-cost equipment or years of apprenticeship. Storytellers from every professional field and from every organization and institution use video to inform and persuade. The essential skills you will acquire from our industry-leading instructors will make you an invaluable asset to your organization.
This intensive three-day workshop is an immersion in digital storytelling. In addition to providing hands-on training in every phase of planning, production and digital delivery, you will also learn from master storytellers how to capture the attention of your audience and create engaging videos.
This workshop delivers the same world-class training the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism provides its graduate students.
The Video for Storytellers Workshop is designed for professionals who are interested in mastering beginning to end video production. The format of the workshop is ideal for people who thrive in intense, focused and hands-on environments. During the workshop participants will learn all of the skills needed to produce, edit and post a final video. You will enjoy personalized small class instruction in fully equipped Mac lab.
As a participant you will:
- Develop an understanding of video as a Web storytelling element.
- Engage in project storyboarding exercises. Participants work closely with instructors and peers to develop potential story ideas into viable projects.
- Plan a video-photo shoot.
- Use a camcorder, mobile device and DSLR to shoot high quality images.
- Master the methods for capturing excellent audio.
- Step out of the lab environment and into the field. Supported field assignments require participants to marshal their newly acquired skills and put them into practice. After the field assignments, participants learn postproduction tools.
- Utilize Adobe Photoshop to prepare still images for video
- Learn to edit video, audio and slideshows using Final Cut Pro X.
- Employ compression tools to produce multi-platform delivery formats.
- Deliver video to multiple online services, including using embed codes to post video into Content Management Systems.
You will return to your organization with a new understanding and appreciation of the technologies changing the storytelling medium, as well as a new set of skills that will make you a fluent, active and engaged video storyteller.
Tuition Pricing: $1145 — Save 10% when you register by May 24, 2012.
When: July 25-27, 2012 from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm daily.
Where: University of California, Berkeley - North Gate Hall map
Meals: A light breakfast and lunch will be provided.
Lodging: Information is available on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Previous experience with video is not required.
- Participants must be comfortable with technical subjects and learning in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in English
- Cancellations must be received in writing by email or fax 15 days prior to the start of the program. A $175.00 fee will be assessed for canceled registrations.
- Cancellation notices received 14 days or less from the start of the program will result in a credit toward attendance at a future KDMC training program. We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
- Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
- The KDMC reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of KDMC. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
- The KDMC will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The KDMC is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.