Visual Essentials for Content Creators
Visual Essentials for Content Creators workshop is for journalists and communications professionals interested in building their video and multimedia skills set. This intensive one-week production course focuses on the art and craft of digital storytelling and features hands-on practical skills training.
This workshop is ideal for professionals who work as independent online publishers, editorial producers for traditional and new media companies, journalists, communication managers for professional associations, non-profit and government agencies, educators, museums, and corporations that publish print or online material.
Communicators seeking a rapid-paced immersive experience in best practices for telling stories on the web with video, photos and data will benefit from this training. Upon completion of this workshop, partipants will have the knowledge and tools necessary to apply their new skill set immediately.
Special Presentation By
The inspiring and captivating Richard Koci Hernandez, UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism, Assistant Professor, national Emmy award winning video and multimedia producer, author, and Pulitzer Prize nominee kicks off the workshop by sharing with his valuable insight and techniques on video storytelling that evoke emotion and increase engagement.
- Learn effective strategies for story planning, production and delivery using storyboarding.
- Use a DSLR camera and apply principles for capturing compelling images that captivate audiences.
- Learn and practice the fundamentals of digital video camera operations and techniques for shooting video.
- Experience hands-on video production editing using Final Cut Pro X, and create photo slideshows.
- Gain basic skills for working with spreadsheets and interactive databases.
- Use open-source data visualizations tools to illustrate complex numerical information.
Leave the training with a new understanding and appreciation of the use of video, photography and data to create engaging content, as well as a new set of skills that will make you a fluent visual media producer.
What People Are Saying: " The training is exceptional and valuable to any journalist or communications professional working in today's multimedia and social media world. Beyond that, the instructors are knowledgeable and present expert information and are willing to work with you one on one. "
– Scott Hatfield, June 2012 Multimedia Storytelling Institute
Tuition Pricing: $1,750 USD - Save 10% when you register by October 31, 2012
Please see Frequently Asked Questions for information on lodging options and meals.
When: December 10 through December 14, 2012
This institute is one-week in length. Instruction is Monday through Friday, 8:30 am- 4:30 pm daily.
Meals: Morning coffee and lunch is included.
Where: University of California, Berkeley, near San Francisco. Graduate School of Journalism, North Gate Hall map
- Comfortable with learning new equipment and software
- Basic computer literacy and skills
- Proficiency in English (All instruction is delivered in English)
Travel, lodging and other information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Cancellations must be received in writing by email or fax. A $250.00 fee will be assessed for canceled registrations.
- Cancelations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the institute program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $250.00 cancelation fee.
- Cancellation notices received 14 days or less from the start of the institute program registered for will result in a credit toward attendance at a future KDMC training program. We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
- Failure to appear for the institutes will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
The KDMC reserves the right to cancel or reschedule an institute due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of KDMC. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee, or may have the fee applied as a credit toward attendance at a future KDMC training program.
The KDMC will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The KDMC is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.