Advanced Data Analytics & Visualization Bootcamp
Data is ubiquitous and the ability to analyze it reproducibly and at scale is crucial for businesses and nonprofits alike. The data analytics and visualization bootcamp is for those who’ve reached the limits of point-and-click software and are ready to explore the power of analyzing data with code. In today’s employment ecosystem, this is a key skill for professional data analysts.
In this data analysis and visualization workshop we will work hands-on with the programming language R, in particular a group of packages known as the “tidyverse.” R is used by top data scientists, newsrooms, social scientists, economists, and academia. It is an advanced language for data analysis, data visualization, and data science used for decision making in business or for developing stories to communicate complex data. The tidyverse has introduced a streamlined, consistent way of writing code that can be mastered by anyone who is comfortable thinking logically and strategically. You don’t need to be a programmer to benefit from this course.
- Learn R syntax, dig into data analysis and data visualizations using tidyverse packages.
- Acquire, clean, and process data.
- Create reproducible analyses and reports.
- Process and analyze geographic data.
- Make charts, maps, and animations, for print and the web.
- Connect from R to databases to work with large datasets.
- Apply statistical modeling to gain insights and make predictions from data.
You’ll enjoy personalized small class instruction from expert instructors. This program is a skill-based learning experience for intermediate to advanced professionals. You’ll work hands-on with the tools and create real examples of charts, graphs and maps. This assures that you will be able to apply your new skill set immediately upon completion of the workshop.
How A Booming Population And Climate Change Made California’s Wildfires Worse Than Ever
We Trained A Computer To Search For Hidden Spy Planes. This Is What It Found
Who Should Attend?
This workshop is ideal for people interested in a rapid-paced, immersive experience in advanced data analysis tools & techniques: scientists, analysis, communication professionals, journalists, educators, faculty, and those interested in becoming proficient in learning to communicate data with clarity.
Instructors & Facilitators
Instructors subject to change.
July 13-17, 2020
9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. daily. Instruction begins promptly at 9:00 a.m.
Morning coffee and catered networking lunch provided.
UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism
121 North Gate Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720
Requirements & Prerequisites
- This is an advanced level workshop. Participants must have prior experience with data analysis. No previous coding expertise is required, but you should come prepared to learn how to turn questions about data into code. If you are comfortable writing Excel formulas, this is the next step.
- All participants must bring their own laptop for use during this workshop. It must be WiFi ready. Note that a Chromebook WILL NOT work and Lenovo laptops are known to be incompatible with some software used in this course.
- 2 weeks prior to the course, you will receive a preparation email with a list of software to install. It is reported that work laptops often do not allow new installation without admin permission. Some software even require up-to-date operating system to run. Thus, it is important to have everything installed in advance.
- If your laptop is not in working order during the workshop, you may rent one from us. The fee for rental is $45 per day (from 9AM – 4PM).
- Participants must be comfortable with technical subjects and learning in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in English.
For beginners interested in learning the basics of data visualization please see Data Visualization for Storytellers.
Questions & Additional Information
The closest parking to North Gate Hall, where Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is located, is the Lower Hearst Parking Garage. For public parking, you must enter on the second floor via Scenic Ave and park next to a gold pillar. Many spots in this garage are permit parking only, so please be vigilant of posted signs. Parking is $2/hr, max $20/day.
Another option for parking is the Stadium Parking Garage, located under Maxwell Field and between California Memorial Stadium and the Greek Theater. Parking here is $25/day with variable hourly rates.
If you wish to utilize public transportation, North Gate Hall is about 15-20 minute walking distance from Downtown Berkeley BART Station. There are also multiple AC Transit bus lines that stop in front of the building.
For more information on different parking garages around campus, visit the UC Berkeley Parking and Transportation website.
• Cancellations must be received in writing by email to email@example.com.
• Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $375.00 cancellation fee. We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
• Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
• Changes to the registration at anytime are only by approval of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute administration.
• The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
• The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.
• If you purchased your class through CourseHorse, then our Refund & Cancellation policy applies to your purchase.
We currently do not offer transfer option between workshops. However, you may cancel the current workshop to receive a full refund less the cancellation fee and enroll in the preferred course. Please contact us directly at advancedmedia@journalism.
In-depth information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page. No video or audio recordings of the materials presented are permitted in any workshop.
Our Training At Your LocationInterested in having us bring our training to your company? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
February 28, 2020
March 2 - April 15, 2020
March 23-24, 2020
March 25-26, 2020
May 2-3, 2020
June 22-26, 2020
July 13-24, 2020
July 20-23, 2020
New Date Coming Soon
New Date Coming Soon