Data is ubiquitous and the ability to analyze it reproducibly and at scale is crucial for businesses and nonprofits alike. The data analytics and visualization bootcamp is for those who’ve reached the limits of point-and-click software and are ready to explore the power of analyzing data with code. In today’s employment ecosystem, this is a key skill for professional data analysts.
In this data analysis and visualization workshop we will work hands-on with the programming language R, in particular a group of packages known as the “tidyverse.” R is used by top data scientists, newsrooms, social scientists, economists, and academia. It is an advanced language for data analysis, data visualization, and data science used for decision making in business or for developing stories to communicate complex data. The tidyverse has introduced a streamlined, consistent way of writing code that can be mastered by anyone who is comfortable thinking logically and strategically. You don’t need to be a programmer to benefit from this course.
- Learn R syntax, dig into data analysis and data visualizations using tidyverse packages.
- Acquire, clean, and process data.
- Create reproducible analyses and reports.
- Process and analyze geographic data.
- Make charts, maps, and animations, for print and the web.
- Connect from R to databases to work with large datasets.
- Apply statistical modeling to gain insights and make predictions from data.
You’ll enjoy personalized small class instruction from expert instructors. This program is a skill-based learning experience for intermediate to advanced professionals. You’ll work hands-on with the tools and create real examples of charts, graphs and maps. This assures that you will be able to apply your new skill set immediately upon completion of the workshop.
How A Booming Population And Climate Change Made California’s Wildfires Worse Than Ever
We Trained A Computer To Search For Hidden Spy Planes. This Is What It Found
Who Should Attend?
This workshop is ideal for people interested in a rapid-paced, immersive experience in advanced data analysis tools & techniques: scientists, data analysts, communication professionals, journalists, educators, faculty, and those interested in becoming proficient in learning to communicate data with clarity.
Need help justifying this training to your employer? Please check out our customizable document.
Instructors & Facilitators
Instructors subject to change.
- This is an advanced level workshop. Participants must have prior experience with data analysis. No previous coding expertise is required, but you should come prepared to learn how to turn questions about data into code. If you are comfortable writing Excel formulas, this is the next step.
- All participants must bring their own laptop for use during this workshop. It must be WiFi ready. Note that a Chromebook WILL NOT work and Lenovo laptops are known to be incompatible with some software used in this course.
- 2 weeks prior to the course, you will receive a preparation email with a list of software to install. It is reported that work laptops often do not allow new installation without admin permission. Some software even require up-to-date operating system to run. Thus, it is important to have everything installed in advance.
- If your laptop is not in working order during the workshop, you may rent one from us. The fee for rental is $45 per day (from 9AM – 4PM).
- Participants must be comfortable with technical subjects and learning in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in English.
For beginners interested in learning the basics of data visualization please see Data Visualization for Storytellers.