Advanced Data Mapping
Maps tell us the “where” of the story in a glance. They are an effective visual tool for communicating ideas, explaining complex concepts, illustrating relationships or for telling a story.
Advanced Data Mapping is a two-day, hands-on certificate workshop that will allow users to take geodata in common formats and then process it to reveal the stories it contains. Participants will learn to create visually stunning, interactive maps from complex information.
You will learn:
- To display geographic data in QGIS and to use geocoding for creating static maps;
- To process geodata with QGIS/GDAL;
- To display the processed data in digital format over an online base map;
- To create a multi-layered online maps using Leaflet;
- To import real time data from a web API and display it with customized styling.
- To use and apply advanced mapping tools such as QGIS, CartoCSS and CartoDB/Torque for creating highly interactive, data driven maps.
You’ll enjoy personalized small class instruction from expert instructors. This program is an applied learning experience for intermediate to advanced practitioners in data mapping. You’ll work hands-on with the tools and create real examples of interactive maps. This assures that you will be ready to apply your new skill set immediately upon completion of the workshop and leave with concrete examples of highly effective illustrated stories with data visualizations.
Who Should Attend?
Advanced Data Mapping is ideal for career professionals interested in a rapid-paced, immersive experience in advanced data visualization mapping tools & techniques. This workshop is ideal for marketing communicators, analysts, scientists, journalists, web editors, educators and those interested in advancing their data visualization mapping skills.
Instructors & Facilitators
Instructors subject to change.
UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism
121 North Gate Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720
Requirements & Prerequisites
- All participants must bring their own laptop for use during this workshop and it must be WiFi ready.
- The level of this workshop is intermediate. Basic data visualization experience is required.
- Participants must be comfortable with technical subjects and learning in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of Excel spreadsheets or Google drive is required. SPREADSHEET TUTORIAL
- A personal Google gmail account is required for this class. Please remember to bring your user login and password information with you.
- Proficiency in English.
Questions & Additional Information
Cancellations must be received in writing by email to email@example.com.
Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $275.00 cancellation fee. We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
Changes to the registration at anytime are only by approval of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute administration.
The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.
If you purchased your class through CourseHorse, then our Refund & Cancellation policy applies to your purchase.
We currently do not offer transfer option between workshops. However, you may cancel the current workshop to receive a full refund less the cancellation fee and enroll in the preferred course. Please contact us directly at advancedmedia@journalism.
In-depth information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page. No video or audio recordings of the materials presented are permitted in any workshop.
February 28, 2020
March 2 - April 15, 2020
March 23-24, 2020
March 25-26, 2020
May 2-3, 2020
June 22-26, 2020
July 13-17, 2020
July 13-24, 2020
July 20-23, 2020
New Date Coming Soon
New Date Coming Soon