Maps tell us the “where” of the story in a glance. They are an effective visual tool for communicating ideas, explaining complex concepts, illustrating relationships or for telling a story.
Advanced Data Mapping is a two-day, hands-on certificate workshop that will allow users to take geodata in common formats and then process it to reveal the stories it contains. Participants will learn to create visually stunning, interactive maps from complex information.
You will learn:
- To display geographic data in QGIS and to use geocoding for creating static maps;
- To process geodata with QGIS/GDAL;
- To display the processed data in digital format over an online base map;
- To create a multi-layered online maps using Leaflet;
- To import real time data from a web API and display it with customized styling.
- To use and apply advanced mapping tools such as QGIS, CartoCSS and CartoDB/Torque for creating highly interactive, data driven maps.
You’ll enjoy personalized small class instruction from expert instructors. This program is an applied learning experience for intermediate to advanced practitioners in data mapping. You’ll work hands-on with the tools and create real examples of interactive maps. This assures that you will be ready to apply your new skill set immediately upon completion of the workshop and leave with concrete examples of highly effective illustrated stories with data visualizations.
Who Should Attend?
Advanced Data Mapping is ideal for career professionals interested in a rapid-paced, immersive experience in advanced data visualization mapping tools & techniques. This workshop is ideal for marketing communicators, analysts, scientists, journalists, web editors, educators and those interested in advancing their data visualization mapping skills.
Instructors & Facilitators
Instructors subject to change.
- All participants must bring their own laptop for use during this workshop and it must be WiFi ready.
- The level of this workshop is intermediate. Basic data visualization experience is required.
- Participants must be comfortable with technical subjects and learning in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of Excel spreadsheets or Google drive is required. SPREADSHEET TUTORIAL
- A personal Google gmail account is required for this class. Please remember to bring your user login and password information with you.
- Proficiency in English.