Visualizing Data for Storytellers: Charts & Infographics
A deluge of data is being made available for public use. In raw-form, large complex data sets are difficult to understand and interpret. Having the tools and techniques to present illustrated data to your audience with aesthetic form and functionality are critical for conveying ideas effectively.
OverviewVisualizing Data for Storytellers: Charts & Infographics is a two-day, hands-on workshop focused on communicating complex information with visually appealing charts and graphs. Participants will learn to create a clearer, more meaningful picture of complex information and publicly available data, tell stories with interactive infographics, and create beautiful and effective graphs and charts. Visualizing Data for Storytellers: Charts & Infographics is ideal for career professionals interested in a rapid-paced, immersive experience in data visualization tools & techniques. This workshop is ideal for marketing communicators, analysts, scientists, journalists, web editors, educators and those interested in becoming proficient in learning to communicate data with clarity and creativity.
In this workshop you will learn:
- To employ best practices in graphic design techniques with data visualizations.
- The techniques for identifying the story in the data and how best to tell that story with effective chart design and visuals.
- To identify when and how to use each type of chart to illustrate your data and your story.
- To create both static and interactive data visualizations for the web.
- To use and apply Inkscape, Data Wrapper, and Datavisual tools for creating highly engaging data visualizations.
InstructionLed by Tasneem Raja, Berkeley Advanced Media Institute’s Data Visualization Guest Instructor and John C. Osborn, Berkeley Advanced Media Institute’s Data Visualization Guest Instructor.
WhenSeptember 26-27, 2014 from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm daily.
WhereGraduate School of Journalism, University of California Berkeley, near San Francisco. Map
TuitionRegistration is closed for this workshop.
- All participants must bring their own laptop for use during this workshop and it must be WiFi ready.
- The level of this workshop is beginning. No previous data visualization experience is required.
- Participants must be comfortable with technical subjects and learning in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of Excel spreadsheets or Google drive is recommended. Spreadsheet Tutorial
- A personal Google gmail account is required for this class. Please remember to bring your user login and password information with you.
- Proficiency in English.
Additional informationTravel, lodging and other information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
QuestionsPlease contact Vicki Hammarstedt via phone at 510.642.3892 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cancellations must be received in writing by email to email@example.com
- Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $175.00 cancellation fee.
- We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
- Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
- Changes to the registration at anytime are only by approval of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute administration.
- The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
- The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.