A deluge of data is being made available for public use. In raw-form, large complex data sets are difficult to understand and interpret. Having the tools and techniques to present illustrated data to your audience with aesthetic form and functionality are critical for conveying ideas effectively.
Visualizing Data for Storytellers: Charts & Infographics is a two-day, hands-on workshop focused on communicating complex information with visually appealing charts and graphs. Participants will learn to create a clearer, more meaningful picture of complex information and publicly available data, tell stories with interactive infographics, and create beautiful and effective graphs and charts.
In this workshop you will learn:
- To employ best practices in graphic design techniques with data visualizations.
- The techniques for identifying the story in the data and how best to tell that story with effective chart design and visuals.
- To identify when and how to use each type of chart to illustrate your data and your story.
- To create both static and interactive data visualizations for the web.
- To use and apply Inkscape, Data Wrapper, and Datavisual tools for creating highly engaging data visualizations.
You’ll enjoy personalized small class instruction from expert instructors. This program is an applied learning experience for beginners in data visualization. You’ll work hands-on with the tools and create real examples of charts, graphs, and static and interactive infographics. This assures that you will be able to apply your new skill set immediately upon completion of the workshop and leave with concrete examples of highly effective illustrated stories with data visualizations.
Who Should Attend?
Ideal for career professionals interested in a rapid-paced, immersive experience in data visualization tools & techniques. This workshop is ideal for marketing communicators, analysts, scientists, journalists, web editors, educators and those interested in becoming proficient in learning to communicate data with clarity and creativity.
- All participants must bring their own laptop for use during this workshop and it must be WiFi ready.
- The level of this workshop is beginning. No previous data visualization experience is required.
- Participants must be comfortable with technical subjects and learning in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of Excel spreadsheets or Google drive is recommended. Spreadsheet Tutorial
- A personal Google gmail account is required for this class. Please remember to bring your user login and password information with you.
- Proficiency in English.