Data visualization for storytellers
Create Meaning from Data
A deluge of data is being made available for public use, but complex raw data sets can be difficult to understand and interpret. Having the tools and techniques to present illustrated data to your audience with aesthetic form and functionality are critical for conveying ideas effectively.
Data Visualization for Storytellers is a two-day, hands-on certificate program focused on communicating complex information with visually appealing charts, graphs and maps. Participants will learn to create clear and meaningful visualizations using publicly available data, tell stories with interactive maps, and create beautiful and effective graphs and charts.
Data Visualization for Storytellers is ideal for people interested in a rapid-paced, immersive experience in data visualization tools & techniques. This workshop is ideal for scientists, communication professionals, journalists, bloggers, educators, communications academic faculty, and those interested in becoming proficient in learning to communicate data with clarity and creativity.
- Learn to employ good graphic design techniques with data visualizations.
- Create interactive data illustrations for the web.
- Learn to create interactive maps.
- Learn the importance of and how to clean and process data for visualizations.
- Employ best practices for using interactive databases to create visualizations and maps that tell stories with data.
- Get hands-on experience using Tableau Public, and other data visualization tools.
You’ll enjoy personalized small class instruction from expert instructors. This program is a skill-based learning experience for beginners in data visualization. You’ll work hands-on with the tools and create real examples of charts, graphs and maps. This assures that you will be able to apply your new skill set immediately upon completion of the workshop.
Led by Peter Aldhous, Berkeley Advanced Media Institute’s Data Visualization Instructor and UC Berkeley, Graduate School of Journalism Data Visualization Lecturer.
$895 USD. 10% discount automatically applied when you register by May 25th, 2018. Space is limited and the course fills up quickly.
June 25-26, 2018. 8:45 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Instruction begins promptly at 9:00 a.m. Morning coffee and catered networking lunch provided.
The Data Visualisation workshop will take place at:
UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism
121 North Gate Hall #106
Berkeley, CA USA 94720
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 510-642-6049
- All participants must bring their own laptop for use during this workshop and it must be WiFi ready.
- This is a beginner-level workshop.
- Participants must be comfortable with technical subjects and learning in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of Google spreadsheets and Google drive is required. Need a refresher? Try our Spreadsheet Tutorial
- A personal Google/Gmail account is required for this class. Please remember to bring your user login and password.
- Proficiency in English.
QUESTIONS & ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Where should I stay?
We recommend staying in the Berkeley area. Nearby hotels include:
-Faculty Club (on UC campus)
-Hotel Shattuck Plaza
Many of our participants have also found luck with Airbnb.
Where should I park?
The closest parking to North Gate Hall, where Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is located, is the Lower Hearst Parking Garage. For public parking, you must enter on the second floor via Scenic Ave and park next to a gold pillar. Many spots in this garage are permit parking only, so please be vigilant of posted signs. Parking is $2/hr, max $20/day.
Another option for parking is the Stadium Parking Garage, located under Maxwell Field and between California Memorial Stadium and the Greek Theater. Parking here is $25/day with variable hourly rates.
For more information on different parking garages around campus, visit the UC Berkeley Parking and Transportation website.
What is your cancellation and refund policy?
- Cancellations must be received in writing by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $275.00 cancellation fee. We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
- Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
Changes to the registration at anytime are only by approval of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute administration.
- The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
- The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.
- If you purchased your class through CourseHorse, then our Refund & Cancellation policy applies to your purchase.
Can I transfer to a different workshop if I change my mind?
We currently do not offer transfer option between workshops. However, you may cancel the current workshop to receive a full refund less the cancellation fee and enroll in the preferred course. Please contact us directly at email@example.com prior to making any changes. Change requests do not apply to request made 15-days prior to the workshop start date.