Data Visualization for Storytellers
A deluge of data is being made available for public use, but complex raw data sets can be difficult to understand and interpret. Having the tools and techniques to present illustrated data to your audience with aesthetic form and functionality are critical for conveying ideas effectively.
Data Visualization for Storytellers is a two-day, hands-on certificate program focused on communicating complex information with visually appealing charts, graphs and maps. Participants will learn to create clear and meaningful visualizations using publicly available data, tell stories with interactive maps, and create beautiful and effective graphs and charts.
Data Visualization for Storytellers is ideal for people interested in a rapid-paced, immersive experience in data visualization tools & techniques. This workshop is ideal for scientists, communication professionals, journalists, bloggers, educators and those interested in becoming proficient in learning to communicate data with clarity and creativity.
- Learn to employ good graphic design techniques with data visualizations.
- Create interactive data illustrations for the web.
- Learn to create interactive maps.
- Learn the importance of and how to clean and process data for visualizations.
- Employ best practices for using interactive databases to create visualizations and maps that tell stories with data.
- Get hands-on experience using Datawrapper, Tableau Public, Carto and more.
You’ll enjoy personalized small class instruction from expert instructors. This program is a skill-based learning experience for beginners in data visualization. You’ll work hands-on with the tools and create real examples of charts, graphs and maps. This assures that you will be able to apply your new skill set immediately upon completion of the workshop.
Led by Peter Aldhous, Berkeley Advanced Media Institute’s Data Visualization Instructor and UC Berkeley, Graduate School of Journalism Data Visualization Lecturer.
September 26-27, 2017, 8:30am to 4:00pm daily. Morning coffee and lunch provided.
Berkeley Global Campus, Room 454 – 4699 Seaver Ave, Richmond, CA 94804. View map
$865 USD, Early Registration Discount of 10% applied for registration before August 26,2017
- All participants must bring their own laptop for use during this workshop and it must be WiFi ready.
- This is a beginner-level workshop.
- Participants must be comfortable with technical subjects and learning in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of Excel spreadsheets or Google drive is required. Need a refresher? Try our Spreadsheet Tutorial
- A personal Google/Gmail account is required for this class. Please remember to bring your user login and password.
- Proficiency in English.
Travel, lodging and other information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
No video or audio recordings of the materials presented are permitted in any workshop.
Please contact Diane Villadsen by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 510.642.6049.
- Cancellations must be received in writing by email to email@example.com
- Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $275.00 cancellation fee.
- We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
- Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
- Changes to the registration at any time are only by approval of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute administration.
- The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
- The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.