Data Visualization For Storytellers
Data Visualization for Storytellers is a two-day, hands-on certificate program focused on communicating complex information with visually appealing charts, graphs, and maps. Participants will learn to create clear and meaningful visualizations using publicly available data, tell stories with interactive maps, and create beautiful and effective graphs and charts.
- Learn to employ good graphic design techniques with data visualizations.
- Create interactive data illustrations for the web.
- Learn to create interactive maps.
- Learn the importance of and how to clean and process data for visualizations.
- Employ best practices for using interactive databases to create visualizations and maps that tell stories with data.
- Get hands-on experience using Tableau Public, and other data visualization tools.
You’ll enjoy personalized small class instruction from expert instructors. This program is a skill-based learning experience for beginners in data visualization. You’ll work hands-on with the tools and create real examples of charts, graphs and maps. This assures that you will be able to apply your new skill set immediately upon completion of the workshop.
Our Training At Your Location
Interested in having us bring our training to your organization? Please contact Vicki Hammarstedt at firstname.lastname@example.org
My favorite part is the principles of design for data visualization. It's impressive we could go through so much content in only two days.
I was very happy to get some of the conceptual framework for data visualization as well as lots of time working to create them.
Who Should Attend?
Data Visualization for Storytellers is ideal for people interested in a rapid-paced, immersive experience in data visualization tools & techniques. This workshop is ideal for scientists, communication professionals, journalists, bloggers, educators, faculty, and those interested in becoming proficient in learning to communicate data with clarity and creativity.
Need help justifying this training to your employer? Please check out our customizable document.
Instructors & Facilitators
Instructors subject to change.
We encourage team work! Bring a colleague or friend and receive additional tuition discounts. Contact Alexandre Bui at email@example.com for more information.
October 2-3, 2019
8:45 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Instruction begins promptly at 9:00 a.m.
Morning coffee and catered networking lunch provided.
Requirements & Prerequisites
- All participants must bring their own laptop for use during this workshop and it must be WiFi ready. A Chromebook WILL NOT work for this course.
- Note that Lenovo laptops are known to be incompatible with some software used in this course. If you need to rent our laptop for any reason, it will be an additional $45 per day of rental.
- This is a beginner-level workshop.
- Participants must be comfortable with technical subjects and learning in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of Google spreadsheets and Google drive is required. Need a refresher? Try our Spreadsheet Tutorial
- A personal Google/Gmail account is required for this class. Please remember to bring your user login and password.
- Proficiency in English.
Questions & Additional Information
The easiest way to access the Berkeley Global Campus/Richmond Field Station (NOT UC Berkeley main campus) is by car (either your own, or Uber/taxi). There is free parking available by the classroom. If you must take public transportation, there are two options: 1) There is a campus-run shuttle that runs from the UC Berkeley campus to the Berkeley Global Campus (Richmond Field Station):
- http://pt.berkeley.edu/campus-transportation-options/campus-shuttle/daytime-bear-transit#RFS (#4)
- https://pt.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/rfs_7_may_2019_update.pdf (schedule)
- You would need to catch the 7:35 A.M. shuttle at Evans Hall, Hearst Mining Circle Side (or wherever convenient) to arrive at RFS before the workshop starts, and it costs $1.50. If you plan to use this option, it is essential that you don't miss the early shuttle, as it does not run very often and you risk running late to the course. It leaves the RFS again at 5 P.M.
• Cancellations must be received in writing by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $275.00 cancellation fee. We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
• Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
• Changes to the registration at anytime are only by approval of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute administration.
• The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
• The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.
• If you purchased your class through CourseHorse, then our Refund & Cancellation policy applies to your purchase.
We currently do not offer transfer option between workshops. However, you may cancel the current workshop to receive a full refund less the cancellation fee and enroll in the preferred course. Please contact us directly at advancedmedia@journalism.
In-depth information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page. No video or audio recordings of the materials presented are permitted in any workshop.
September 24 - November 21, 2019
October 7 - November 20, 2019
October 10-11, 2019
October 17-18, 2019
November 9-10, 2019
January 6-10, 2020
January 7-10, 2020
January 13-14, 2020
New Date Coming Soon
New Date Coming Soon