Digital Media Skills Certificate
Empowering the next generation of digital media storytellers. This intensive 9-week graduate level certificate program focuses on the strategic implementation and production of digital media content for a web facing and mobile-first audience.
You’ll experience best practices for telling stories to an online audience—through social media, on the web and to a mobile audience. You’ll learn to engage with video, digital photography, audio recordings, and data visualizations. You’ll have the tools and storytelling skills to produce, edit and post content 24/7. This includes having the skills to code or use tools for quick production. We’ll also teach you what metrics are important in determining engagement and how to market your product or personal brand. Upon completion of this program, participants will have the knowledge and tools necessary to apply your new skill set immediately to your profession.
In this certificate program you will:
- Learn to choose the best media for telling stories on multiple digital platforms
- Develop strategies for multimedia production and delivery on mobile devices
- Learn to develop the narrative in your digital story
- Understand storyform and how to develop creative visual stories
- Produce visual content and learn to edit video and photos culminating in a video/photo project
- Become skilled in creating quality audio for videos or podcasts that engage audiences
- Learn to create interactive data visualizations, charts, graphs and maps to tell stories
- Become versed in the fundamentals of coding: HTML, and CSS for efficient editing
- Create compelling social media content for community engagement
- Learn best practices for on-camera interviewing and developing your own on-camera presence
- Produce a final digital media capstone project using digital skills, new media technologies and tools
- Return to your organization with a new understanding and appreciation of the technologies changing the storytelling medium, as well as a new set of skills that will make you a fluent, active and engaging digital media content producer
Who Should Attend: This is ideal for all content creators, journalists, editors, new media managers, media professionals, content marketers, communications and PR, educators and web producers.
Presentations by world-class trainers, award winning journalists and new media industry leaders: Yumi Wilson, LinkedIn’s amazing community builder, Richard Koci Hernandez, Emmy award winning inspirational leader, Jeremy Rue, key new media luminary, Peter Aldhous, BuzzFeed’s serious journalist, Ben Manilla, award winning radio personality, Shaleece Haas, extraordinary video storyteller, and more.
Syllabus & Pre-Assessment FormPre-Assessment Form: Please Complete
This is a 9-week course. Classes are held Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6pm to 9pm beginning Tuesday, October 6 and ending Thursday, December 10. (No classes will be held the week of November 23-27, 2015.) Plus a required Saturday class on November 14, 2015 from 9am to 4pm. We will also offer optional guided lab sessions to work on your capstone project.
In addition, we will offer optional site visits to leading media San Francisco bay area media companies- to be announced soon. (Transportation costs for these visits are not included in the tuition.)
University of California, Berkeley, Graduate School of Journalism. 121 North Gate Hall, Berkeley, CA. Map
$3,875 USD. 10% Discount for early registration by September 15, 2015. We do not offer financial assistance for this or any of our courses at the Berkeley Advanced Media Institute.
- This is a intermediate course.
- Comfortable with learning new equipment and software.
- WiFi ready Laptop, Software & Equipment, including optional video and photo cameras. During class-time organized video, photo shoots and field visits you will have the option of using the Berkeley Advanced Media Institute’s Sony NX70 video cameras, photo cameras, and tripods.
- Adobe Creative Cloud (30 day free trial is available and recommended to begin.)
- Basic computer literacy and computer skills.
- Proficiency with English.
Information SessionInterested in finding out more about this course? Join us on Wednesday, September 16th at 6:30 PM PST to meet with key instructors and hear more about how you’ll be prepared to apply these skills in today’s digital media environment. Register for this free-wine and cheese-information session at Digital Media Skills Certificate Information Session
Where: 121 North Gate Hall, UC Berkeley campusCan’t make it in person? Meet us virtually, as we broadcast this live session via Periscope. Watch us on your mobile (Periscope app) or desktop device (via Twitter Periscope Live )at our Twitter handle @AMI_Berkeley.
Please contact Vicki Hammarstedt via phone at 510.642.3892 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
VISA questions? Please contact Flynn May at email@example.com
Travel, lodging and other information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Cancellations must be received in writing by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $375.00 cancellation fee.We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
- Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
- Changes to the registration at anytime are only by approval of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute administration.
- The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
- Berkeley Advanced Media Institute will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.