Digital media skills certificate
Storytelling • Visuals • Video • Audio • Social Media • Multimedia • Design
Empowering the next generation of digital media storytellers. This intensive 9-week graduate level certificate program focuses on the strategic implementation and production of digital media content for a web facing and mobile-first audience.
You’ll experience best practices for telling stories to an online audience—through social media, on the web and to a mobile audience. You’ll learn to engage with video, digital photography, audio recordings, and data visualizations. You’ll have the tools and storytelling skills to produce, edit and post content 24/7. This includes having the skills to code or use tools for quick production. Upon completion of this program, participants will have the knowledge and tools necessary to apply your new skill set immediately to your profession.
In this certificate program you will:
- Learn to choose the best media for telling stories on multiple digital platforms.
- Develop strategies for multimedia production and delivery on mobile devices.
- Learn to develop the narrative in your digital story and how to develop creative visual stories.
- Shoot, edit and produce your own video.
- Learn to produce engaging content for all digital platforms.
- Produce visual content and learn to edit video and photos to produce an engaging video.
- Become skilled in creating quality audio for videos or podcasts that engage audiences.
- Learn to create interactive data visualizations, charts, graphs, and maps to tell stories.
- Learn best practices for on-camera interviewing and how to prepare a subject for the interview.
- Produce a final digital media capstone project using digital skills and new media technologies and tools.
- Return to your organization with a new understanding and appreciation of the technologies changing the storytelling medium, as well as a new set of skills that will make you a fluent, active and engaging digital media content producer.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This is ideal for all content creators, advertising specialists, journalists, editors, new media managers, media professionals, content marketers, communications and PR, educators and web producers.
Presentations by world-class trainers, award winning journalists and new media industry leaders: Richard Koci Hernandez, Emmy award winning inspirational leader, Jeremy Rue, data visualization experts, Laura Klivans, award-winning radio personality, Chris Schodt, Emmy-nominated multimedia producer, and more.
LIVE Q&A SESSION
View the recording of our Facebook Live Q&A session with instructor Chris Schodt (pinned to the top of our Facebook page).
September 18 – November 15, 2018. This is a 9-week course. Classes are held Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. We will also offer digital learning labs on select Wednesdays.
The workshop will take place at:
UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism
121 North Gate Hall, Room 108 (Lower News Room)
Berkeley, CA USA 94720
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 510-642-6049
- This is an intermediate course.
- It is the participant’s responsibility to provide their own Equipment & Software, including:
- WiFi-ready laptop with at least 8GB memory.
- Video camera, microphone, & tripod for 2 to 3 days in week 3 (instructors will discuss exact dates during week 1) for video shoot (see Equipment & Software Guide for rental options).
- Smartphone-compatible lavalier microphone.
- External hard drive (Formatted for Mac or PC).
- Adobe Creative Cloud – Premiere, Photoshop, and Audition (7-day free trial + at least 2 additional paid months to use for the remainder of the course).
- Computer literacy skills.
- Comfortable with learning new equipment and software.
- Proficiency with English.
QUESTIONS & ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Where should I stay?
Where should I park?
The closest parking to North Gate Hall, where Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is located, is the Lower Hearst Parking Garage. For public parking, you must enter on the second floor via Scenic Ave and park next to a gold pillar. Many spots in this garage are permit parking only, so please be vigilant of posted signs. Parking is $2/hr, max $20/day.
Another option for parking is the Stadium Parking Garage, located under Maxwell Field and between California Memorial Stadium and the Greek Theater. Parking here is $25/day with variable hourly rates.
For more information on different parking garages around campus, visit the UC Berkeley Parking and Transportation website.
What is your cancellation and refund policy?
- Cancellations must be received in writing by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $275.00 cancellation fee. We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
- Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
Changes to the registration at anytime are only by approval of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute administration.
- The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
- The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.
- If you purchased your class through CourseHorse, then our Refund & Cancellation policy applies to your purchase.
Can I transfer to a different workshop if I change my mind?
We currently do not offer transfer option between workshops. However, you may cancel the current workshop to receive a full refund less the cancellation fee and enroll in the preferred course. Please contact us directly at email@example.com prior to making any changes. Change requests do not apply to request made 15-days prior to the workshop start date.