Storytelling from the Air: Drone Workshop
Wednesday-Friday, May 2-4, 2018 | 8:30am-4:00pm daily
Instruction begins promptly at 9:00am. Morning coffee and catered lunch are included.
Aerial videos produced by chartering helicopters or planes are being replaced by unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) or drones. We’re seeing a growth in popularity among news organizations, the film industry and companies using drones to capture compelling video for their storytelling. These cinematic techniques are becoming more mainstream, increasing the demand among audiences and producers for aerial video content. It’s now more cost effective than ever before; it’s safe and provides a simple way to boost production value. The opportunities for licensed experienced drone pilots are increasing.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
Join us for a 3-day workshop on video storytelling with drone footage, and to learn requirements to become a certified commercial drone videographer.
- Identify how UAVs enhance video storytelling and the added value to the story.
- Learn the key safety, legal and ethical issues surrounding drone use by media professionals.
- Learn best practices and workflow before, during, and post-flight.
- Understanding licensing and certification with the FAA, and drone registration requirements in the United States.
- How to use a FAA approved app for drone flight approval.
- Practice hands-on flying a drone with cutting-edge UAV technologies including the DJI Phantom 4.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This workshop is ideal for freelancers, journalists, communication professionals, techies, and anyone interested in pursing a career in storytelling with drones.
Peter Bittner will be the “remote pilot in command” for the drone training program. He has a FAA Part 107 Certificate, which is the equivalent of a drone pilot’s license. His drone photo for the The New York Times was featured on the front page of the US and international print editions of the Paradise Papers story. Visit his website to learn more.
- All participants must bring their own WIFI-ready laptop for use during this workshop. Please see our laptop specifications for further technical requirements. You must upgrade your operating system to the latest version before attending the course.
- Before the course begins, you will be invited to a collaborative Box folder where the assets for the course will be stored. Please download the assets before the course begins, as these are large files that will take time.
- Optional: You may want an external hard drive to store large video files. Format your drive for Mac or PC.
- Please bring a pair of headphones to work with.
- The workshop is an intermediate graduate level workshop. Please contact us if you have questions about the pace or content.
- Participants must be comfortable with technical subjects and learning in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in English
The workshop will take place at:
Richmond Field Station
1301 South 46th Street
Richmond, CA 94804
More in-depth information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
No video or audio recordings of the materials presented are permitted in any workshop.
WHERE SHOULD I STAY?
We recommend staying in the Berkeley area. Nearby hotels include:
-Faculty Club (on UC campus)
-Hotel Shattuck Plaza
Many of our participants have also found luck with Airbnb.
WHICH VISA DO I NEED?
It is your responsibility to obtain the proper paperwork to travel to the US; we do not verify visa status. While we are unable to provide legal advice, we recommend that you obtain a tourist or business visa – not a student visa.
I NEED TO CANCEL MY REGISTRATION.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to process your cancellation. Cancellations made up to 15 days before the start of the class will receive a full refund of the course fee, less the $275 cancellation fee. We are unable to refund any fees when you cancel within 15 days of the start of the class.
- Cancellations must be received in writing by email to email@example.com
- Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $275.00 cancellation fee. We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
- Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
- Changes to the registration at anytime are only by approval of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute administration.
- The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
- The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to the schedule. The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.
- If you purchased your class through CourseHorse, then our Refund & Cancellation policy applies to your purchase.