Storytelling From The Air: Drone Videography
Aerial videos produced by chartering helicopters or planes are being replaced by unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) or drones. We’re seeing a growth in popularity among news organizations, the film industry and companies using drones to capture compelling video for their storytelling. These cinematic techniques are becoming more mainstream, increasing the demand among audiences and producers for aerial video content. It’s now more cost effective than ever before; it’s safe and provides a simple way to boost production value. The opportunities for licensed experienced drone pilots are increasing.
Join us for a 3-day workshop on video storytelling with drone footage, and to learn what is required to become a certified commercial drone videographer. Drone equipment is included for your use during the workshop.
- Identify how UAVs enhance video storytelling and the added value to the story.
- Learn the key safety, legal and ethical issues surrounding drone use by media professionals.
- Learn best practices and workflow before, during, and post-flight.
- Understanding licensing and certification with the FAA, and drone registration requirements in the United States.
- How to use a FAA approved app for drone flight approval.
- Practice hands-on flying a drone with cutting-edge UAV technologies including the DJI Phantom 4.
- Learn how to cut drone video footage to create an engaging narrative.
Outcome: You’ll leave the course with a drone video highlight reel, produced by you.
Who Should Attend?
Ideal for freelancers, journalists, communication professionals, techies, photographers, videographers, real estate content producers, and anyone interested in pursing a career in storytelling with drones.
Instructors & Facilitators
Instructors subject to change.
Peter Bittner will be the “remote pilot in command” for the drone training program. He has a FAA Part 107 Certificate, which is the equivalent of a drone pilot’s license. His drone photo for the The New York Times was featured on the front page of the US and international print editions of the Paradise Papers story.
Requirements & Prerequisites
- You must have basic familiarity with a video editing program. You should feel comfortable importing assets, cutting footage in a timeline, and adding music.
- You must have a video editing program installed on your computer. We recommend Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro, or iMovie. The software must allow you to rearrange clips on a timeline, cut footage, and add music.
- Please plan to bring a smartphone to on which you can monitor your drone footage. If you do not have a compatible smartphone, an iPad will be provided.
- All participants must bring their own WIFI-ready laptop for use during this workshop. Please see our laptop specifications for further technical requirements. You must upgrade your operating system to the latest version before attending the course.
- Before the course begins, you will be invited to a collaborative Box folder where the assets for the course will be stored. Please download the assets before the course begins, as these are large files that will take time.
- Optional: You may want an external hard drive to store large video files. Format your drive for Mac or PC.
- Please bring a pair of headphones to work with.
- The workshop is an intermediate graduate level workshop. Please contact us if you have questions about the pace or content.
- Participants must be comfortable with technical subjects and learning in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in English
Questions & Additional Information
The closest parking to North Gate Hall, where Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is located, is the Lower Hearst Parking Garage. For public parking, you must enter on the second floor via Scenic Ave and park next to a gold pillar. Many spots in this garage are permit parking only, so please be vigilant of posted signs. Parking is $2/hr, max $20/day.
Another option for parking is the Stadium Parking Garage, located under Maxwell Field and between California Memorial Stadium and the Greek Theater. Parking here is $25/day with variable hourly rates.
If you wish to utilize public transportation, North Gate Hall is about 15-20 minute walking distance from Downtown Berkeley BART Station. There are also multiple AC Transit bus lines that stop in front of the building.
For more information on different parking garages around campus, visit the UC Berkeley Parking and Transportation website.
Cancellations must be received in writing by email to email@example.com.
Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $275.00 cancellation fee. We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
Changes to the registration at anytime are only by approval of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute administration.
The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.
If you purchased your class through CourseHorse, then our Refund & Cancellation policy applies to your purchase.
We currently do not offer transfer option between workshops. However, you may cancel the current workshop to receive a full refund less the cancellation fee and enroll in the preferred course. Please contact us directly at advancedmedia@journalism.
In-depth information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page. No video or audio recordings of the materials presented are permitted in any workshop.
April 23-26, 2019
April 29-30, 2019
June 20-21, 2019
July 8-9, 2019
July 10-11, 2019
July 15-16, 2019
July 15-26, 2019
New Date Coming Soon
Coming Fall 2019
New Date Coming Soon
Coming Fall 2019
New Date Coming Soon