How to Sell Your Film: A Comprehensive Film distribution workshop
How to Sell Your Film: A Comprehensive Film Distribution Workshop
You’ve got a film, but will anyone see it, let alone pay for it? How do you reach your audience? How do you create the most possible revenue? You might think with all of the new digital platforms out there now, it’s easier to get your project distributed. Actually, it’s just gotten more complicated. The good news is, there is a lot of opportunity to reach your audience and to keep more revenue. But you have to understand the new system and make the right choices for you and your project.
We’ve partnered with DocuMentors to bring you How to Sell Your Film: A Comprehensive Film Distribution Workshop. You’ll gain a deep understanding of current film distribution from both sides of the aisle – from the buyer’s perspective, as well as the filmmaker’s. This content-packed workshop will give you not only a comprehensive overview of all the choices involved in distributing your film, but will also give you concrete steps to paving a path of success.
No matter what length, genre or stage of production, implementing the content of this workshop will be a game-changer!
And we’ve now added an optional Day 2 where you can get individualized attention in formulating your exact distribution strategy and step-by-step implementation plan!
Day 1 (April 8th) will cover:
- How to Identify & Find Your Core, Paying Audience
- How to Stay in a Position of Power throughout the Distribution Process
- Windows and Rights- Learn What to Sell and When, including Theatrical, Semi-theatrical, SVOD, TVOD, VOD, Broadcast, Educational & DVD (yes, it still exists)
- The Players in the Distribution Field – Companies and Titles
- Must-have Marketing Tools & Branding
- Digital Platforms and How to Get Them to Carry Your Film
- Deliverables and Costs for Different Platforms, Windows and Markets
- Getting Into and Navigating Film Festivals, Markets and Forums
- Selling & Pitching at Markets and Forums
- Contracts & Terms
- Negotiating Contracts in Your Favor
- What Rights You Must Keep
- Broadcast Sales, including Navigating the PBS System
- Opportunities in Non-traditional Theatrical and Semi-Theatrical Distribution
- Corporate Sponsorships & Grants for Distribution & Outreach
- DIY Educational Distribution
- Monetizing Grassroots & Activist Distribution
- Finding and Working with Niche Distributors
- Creating and Working with Affiliate Partners for Maximum Reach & Profits
- Insurance and Legal Issues
Day 2 (April 9th – Open to just 10 projects):
Day 2 has now sold out for April 9th! If you’d like to be put on the waiting list, please email us at email@example.com.
- Armed with all the info from Day 1, we will dive in deep to create a customized strategy for the marketing and distribution of your project.
- We will be examining where you are right now with your film, who your audience is, best paths to accessing sales, your marketing message, and the windows you have available to exploit.
- We will craft a multi- year monetization plan for your film.
- We will cover Budgeting for Distribution. Now that you have these plans – what will it cost? Be prepared!
- We will cover Fundraising for Distribution. Every plan is going to need some kind of start-up $. Where will you get yours? We’ll give you lots of ideas to help you get launched.
- You will receive individualized, hands-on help from Anna and Jilann so that you leave with a clear plan for your entire distribution roll-out.
Who Should Attend
Documentary filmmakers, VR filmmakers, independent filmmakers, fiction filmmakers, film producers, film directors, first-time filmmakers, distributors, entertainment attorneys, and transmedia producers.
Anna Darrah is an experienced film buyer, negotiating with and licensing over 800 films in her 12 years working for Gaiam and Spiritual Cinema Circle. She has been an active player on the festival circuit and currently advises filmmakers on custom distribution strategies.
Jilann Spitzmiller is the co-founder of DocuMentors and an award-winning filmmaker whose work has premiered in competition at Sundance, as well as at SXSW, DOC NYC, and Edinburgh. Jilann’s films have been broadcast around the globe on BBC, NBC, Sundance Channel, Al Jazeera, PBS, Discovery Networks, and many more. She is currently successfully implementing a hybrid distribution plan with her new film, Still Dreaming.
What People Are Saying
“The workshop was everything the title suggested. SO much information was packed into that eight hour session, very little of which I understood going in. I took roughly 50 pages of notes, which I started to go through last night. It will likely take quite a while to absorb the key parts, but it was worth every cent. Clearly I would have made big, costly mistakes without it. Now I have resources to move forward.” – Daniel Buckley
“I can’t remember when so much useful and topical information was presented in a workshop in such a succinct and accessible way. Thanks for all your hard work.” – Jennifer Townsend
“Your workshop was so very helpful! Thanks to both Jilann and Anna for all your hard work preparing such an informative and well presented seminar – it was worth 16 hours in a car! And I am not a fan of long drives!” – Leslie Epperson
“What an amazing presentation! Thank you for creating such a helpful workshop and sharing your wealth of knowledge. Enjoyed meeting new and interesting fellow film makers plus it was fun to see familiar faces.” – Melissa Ash
April 8-9, 2017 from 9:00am to 5:00pm.
Graduate School of Journalism, University of California Berkeley, near San Francisco. Map
Coffee & bagels will be provided in the morning. Affordable options for lunch can be found nearby.
Day 1 only: $325 USD. Register now.
Days 1 + 2: $595 USD ($130 savings over full price of both days). Day 2 has now sold out for April 9th! If you’d like to be put on the waiting list, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This course is intended for anyone interested in getting into media or film, as well as experienced filmmakers.
- Please bring something to take notes with.
Travel, lodging and other information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
No video or audio recordings of the materials presented are permitted in any workshop.
Please contact Diane Villadsen by email at email@example.com, or call +1.510.642.6049.
- Cancellations must be received in writing by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $125.00 cancellation fee.
- We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
- Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
- Changes to the registration at anytime are only by approval of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute administration.
- The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
- The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.