Your iPhone is able to shoot amazing high definition video, act as a basic editing suite, apply professional-looking finishes and then instantly distribute the material around the globe. Communication professionals, from journalists to social media acolytes, are now ditching bulky video kits to rely on Apple’s pocket rocket. The question, though, is how to overcome its inherent limitations and transform it into the ultimate ally.
This two-day certificate workshop provides all skills necessary for shooting quality video on your iPhone. We’ll take you through how to capture key moments from events, product launches, conferences and interviews to publishing on social networks or your website. You’ll work hands-on with experienced TV and online content producers to learn foolproof techniques for capturing professional looking videos on your iPhone.
What you’ll learn at the two-day workshop:
- Best practices for producing, shooting, and editing video on an iPhone
- The ins and outs of using the Filmic Pro app for more controlled shooting
- How to develop a story for video including storyboarding techniques
- Best-in-class interviewing techniques from world-class reporters
- Tips for choosing video locations and how to optimize lighting, and audio
- How to edit your video on the mobile device for quick publishing
- The basics of editing on iMovie along with techniques
- How to upload to social networks or websites from your mobile device
- The best apps to use for giving added polish to your footage and edits
- The secrets to creating video that resonates with a mobile audience!
Our Training At Your Location
Interested in having us bring our training to your organization? Please contact Vicki Hammarstedt at firstname.lastname@example.org
This course was very helpful in refreshing basic principles I had learned in college a few years ago, and most importantly, taught me new techniques that will enable me to create higher quality content.
Media & Communications Coordinator
I'm walking out of the class with concrete tools, ideas, and I'm motivated to start creating and editing! Richard is a fantastic teacher. His own life experience and professional acumen make him the best instructor for this course.
Instructors & Facilitators
Instructors subject to change.
New Date Coming Soon
9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Morning coffee and catered networking lunch provided.
UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism
121 North Gate Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720
This is an introductory course; no previous video experience is required.
Comfortable with learning new equipment and software.
Basic computer literacy and skills.
Proficiency in English (instruction is delivered in English).
- Prior to the course start date, you will receive an email with instruction on how to prepare for the class. Note that this email might be in the spam folder.
- iPhone 5 or higher with iOS10 or higher.
- You will need to download iMovie and purchase the FilmicPro app from the App Store. FilmicPro is listed as $14.99 at the time of this writing.
- It is essential that your iPhone has at least 3GB of free space to be able to shoot adequate footage in the course. Take a look at our tips for freeing up space on your phone.