multimedia storytelling Institute 2015
The changing digital media landscape requires a new skill set in multimedia content production. To stay ahead of the curve in this evolving media environment you must know how to produce content and create compelling stories for a mobile first audience.
This intensive two-week program provides seminar style and hands-on training in essential skills for digital media production in a mobile first environment.
In this workshop you will:
- Learn to choose the best media for telling stories on multiple digital platforms
- Develop strategies for multimedia production and delivery on mobile devices
- Learn to develop the narrative in your multimedia story
- Understand storyform and how to develop creative visual stories
- Produce visual content and learn to edit video and photos culminating in a video/photo project
- Become skilled in creating quality audio for videos or podcasts that engage audiences
- Learn to create interactive data visualizations, charts, graphs and maps to tell stories
- Become versed in the fundamentals of coding: HTML and CSS for efficient editing
- Create compelling social media content for community engagement
- Learn best practices for on-camera interviewing and developing your own on-camera presence
- Produce a final multimedia project by pulling together all newly learned skills
- Return to your organization with a new understanding and appreciation of the technologies changing the storytelling medium, as well as a new set of skills that will make you a fluent, active and engaging multimedia producer
- Plus! Earn 7 Continuing Education Units (CEU’s) from the University of California, Berkeley
We’re giving every participant a signed copy of the soon-to-be published, The Principles of Multimedia Journalism by Richard Koci Hernandez and Jeremy Rue.
Video clip: keeping relevant with new media tools and technologies at the Multimedia Storytelling Institute.
Who Should Attend
The institute is ideal for all content creators, journalists, editors, new media managers, media professionals, content marketers, communications and PR, educators and web producers.
UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism instruction and guest presentations by world-class trainers, award winning multimedia journalists, storytellers and industry leaders: Richard Koci Hernandez & Jeremy Rue, Yumi Wilson from LikedIn, and more
June 15-19 & June 22-26, 2015. This institute is two-weeks in length. Instruction is Monday through Friday, 8:30 am- 5:00 pm daily.
Graduate School of Journalism, University of California Berkeley, near San Francisco. Map
- All participants are encouraged to bring their own WIFI ready laptop for use during this workshop.
- We will provide Mac Book Pro laptops for use during the video editing process and during all applied learning projects.
- The level of this workshop is intermediate.
- Participants must be comfortable with technical subjects and learning in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in English.
Travel, lodging and other information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
No video or audio recordings of the materials presented are permitted in any workshop.
Please contact Flynn May via phone at 510.642.6049 or email Flynn.May@berkeley.edu
- Cancellations must be received in writing by email to email@example.com
- Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $575.00 cancellation fee.We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
- Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
- Changes to the registration at anytime are only by approval of kdmcBerkeley administration.
- The kdmcBerkeley reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of kdmcBerkeley. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
- The kdmcBerkeley will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The kdmcBerkeley is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.
Other Programs of Interest