In this interactive online certificate course, you’ll develop the skills to communicate complex information through beautiful visualizations. Learn how to create effective graphs and charts directly from professional science journalists, with personal feedback and hands-on instruction.
Tell stories with data. Craft clear and meaningful visualizations, interactive maps, charts and graphs using publicly available data. Learn the language of data visualization and turn data into design.
- Learn the foundations of good design and apply it toward data visualizations.
- Create interactive data illustrations for the web.
- Create interactive maps.
- Learn how to clean and process data for improving visualizations.
- Gain best practices for telling stories with data, using interactive databases to create visualizations and maps.
- Get hands-on experience using Tableau Public, and other data visualization tools.
- Leave with a professional portfolio of charts, graphs and maps created by you.
We’re With You All The Way
Work With Experienced Instructors & Mentors
Our instructors are industry leaders, with years of experience in their field. Every member of the team has the academic savvy and real-world practice to support you on your learning journey. Gain the full value of their expertise through in-depth discussions, thoughtful and critical feedback on assignments, and live sessions.
Make Connections With A Professional Network
You’ll gain access to an international network of professionals building skills similar to your own. We provide a range of opportunities to engage with your peers and instructors, share insights, and keep the conversation going long after you’ve completed the course.
Collaborate & Engage
We offer a supportive space for collaboration. We’ve designed the learner’s journey to help you fully engage with course content, guided by seasoned professionals and a community of peers and mentors. Engage in live group discussions, complete lessons, and share and offer feedback on assignments.
Practice & Apply New Skills
We believe the best way to learn new skills is by doing. Gain mastery of each new skill through creative activities designed to hone your learning, culminating in the final project. At the end of this course, you will have gained in-depth knowledge, a new skill set, and a portfolio to immediately apply to your job or new career.
Who Should Attend?
Data Visualization for Storytellers is ideal for people interested in a rapid-paced, immersive experience in data visualization tools & techniques. This workshop is ideal for scientists, communication professionals, journalists, bloggers, educators, faculty, and those interested in becoming proficient in learning to communicate data with clarity and creativity.
Instructors & Facilitators
Instructors subject to change.
- This is an introductory online course; no previous experience is required.
- Ability and willingness to learn new skills and work with new equipment and software.
- Basic computer literacy.
- A basic understanding of spreadsheets is suggested. This Spreadsheet Tutorial is a good primer.
- All participants must have a computer or laptop for use during this course.
- Proficiency in English (instruction is delivered in English).
Cancellation & Refund Policy
You may cancel your online course for a full refund of fees paid less 10%. The request for cancellation must be made no later than 10 days in advance of the course start date and provided in writing to email@example.com. We are unable to refund fees for registrations cancelled within 10 days of the start of the online course.
If you wish to transfer your paid registration to another online course you will be placed on a future course waiting list. The request for transfer must be made no later than 24 hours prior to the course start date and provided in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org