In this certificate-earning production course, you’ll gain practical skills for producing distinctive podcasts. Learn the essentials of audio storytelling from professional radio producers and podcasters as you plan, write, record and edit your own podcast. This foundational course will guide you through reading and listening exercises, practical assignments, and live instructor-led sessions.
Develop your own voice with our helping hands. Gain access to exclusive resources, and receive personal feedback as you learn how to produce a podcast from the planning stage to the final upload. Network with fellow students and alumni, and gain the expertise of your instructors and peers. At the end of the 5-week course, you’ll finish with a podcast produced by you.
- Learn storytelling techniques for an audio audience.
- Practice interview techniques including how to prepare and record the interview.
- Apply script writing and narration to podcasting.
- How to professionally edit audio using Adobe Audition.
- Gain best practices for podcast planning and workflow techniques.
- Learn how to choose the right audio equipment for recording quality podcasts.
- A professionally produced podcast by you.
- Certificate (PDF) upon completion of the course requirements.
- LinkedIn badge to add to your profile to signify accomplishment of the course.
Course Format: This online production course is paced with hands-on, interactive learning activities designed to build your skills as you progress through the 5 weeks. Each week your cohort will interact with the instructor for a 1-hour live synchronous session and an optional 1-hour live synchronous Ask Me Anything session. The live sessions are held during business hours PST and recorded for future viewing.
We’re With You All The Way
Work With Experienced Instructors & Mentors
Our instructors are industry leaders, with years of experience in their field. Every member of the team has the academic savvy and real-world practice to support you on your learning journey. Gain the full value of their expertise through in-depth discussions, thoughtful and critical feedback on assignments, and live sessions.
Make Connections With A Professional Network
You’ll gain access to an international network of professionals building skills similar to your own. We provide a range of opportunities to engage with your peers and instructors, share insights, and keep the conversation going long after you’ve completed the course.
Collaborate & Engage
We offer a supportive space for collaboration. We’ve designed the learner’s journey to help you fully engage with course content, guided by seasoned professionals and a community of peers and mentors. Engage in live group discussions, complete lessons, and share and offer feedback on assignments.
Practice & Apply New Skills
We believe the best way to learn new skills is by doing. Gain mastery of each new skill through creative activities designed to hone your learning, culminating in the final project. At the end of this course, you will have gained in-depth knowledge, a new skill set, and a portfolio to immediately apply to your job or new career.
Instructors & Facilitators
Instructors subject to change.
Francesca Fenzi is an audio producer, reporter and educator based in the Bay Area. Her work has been broadcast on NPR’s “All Things Considered” program, the Alaska Public Media network, and featured in several podcasts. She’s also written for The Guardian, Inc. and TIME magazines, and news outlets like Oakland North, Richmond Confidential and Anchorage Daily News. Francesca enjoys stories where science and social issues overlap, and is a graduate of UC Berkeley’s Graduate School of Journalism. When not hunting for wild b-roll, she can be found climbing, biking or sea kayaking along the Pacific coast.
Rick Johnson is an audio engineer born and raised in the Bay Area and received his degree at SAE Expression College in Berkeley, California. His most relevant work includes producing, recording, and mixing over 80 episodes of a podcast named Points On the Bench. With over 10 years of professional experience, his work has ranged from live sound to radio broadcasts to recording, mixing, and editing for video. His love of production led him to the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism where he works as their Media Operations Manager and enjoys instructing and teaching students about audio and video equipment as well as teaching audio software such as Pro Tools. When he’s not at work he might be found hanging with his friends at Odd Folk Films or at the park playing frisbee, listening to music, or enjoying a great sounding podcast.
Natalie Jones is a reporter and podcast producer based in Oakland, California. She helps produce Your Undivided Attention, a podcast that takes a hard look at the impact of technology on our lives, and has worked on several other podcasts and audio projects. Her reporting has been published in The Guardian, The Washington Post, NPR.org, Grist, Civil Eats, Craftsmanship Quarterly, and The Point Reyes Light, and has aired on KQED, and KALW in San Francisco, and Aspen Public Radio in Colorado. Some favorite topics to cover are health, agriculture, food, and the environment. She also teaches for the UC Berkeley Advanced Media Institute at the Graduate School of Journalism.
Early registration discounted fee of $765 valid until March 22, 2021.
Standard registration fee of $840 begins March 23, 2021.
During registration you will have the option to purchase the Zoom H1n recorder with Micro SD Card at a special price of $160. The H1n will be shipped to the U.S. address you provide during registration. Purchasing the H1n is optional. Throughout the course we reference this audio recorder to standardize the learning process. At this time we can only ship to addresses in the U.S. due to constraints with external shipping providers.
- This is an introductory online course; no previous podcasting experience is required.
- Ability and willingness to learn new skills and work with new equipment and software.
- Basic computer literacy.
- All participants must have a computer or laptop for use during this course. Your computer must meet the minimum technical specifications outlined on the Adobe Audition help page: https://helpx.adobe.com/audition/system-requirements.html . If in doubt please reach out to Adobe directly. We recommend you verify your computer can run Audition before enrolling.
- A subscription to Adobe Audition Creative Cloud for a period of 4-weeks is required to participate in this course. Information on how to purchase a subscription for one month is found here: Adobe Audition Editing Software. You will begin using Audition during the second-week of the five-week course. Keep this in mind when purchasing the license.
- Headphones are required.
- An audio recording device for recording the podcast is required. The course references the Zoom H1n audio recording device. A recording microphone is recommended but not required. See Gear Guide before registering.
- Proficiency in English (instruction is delivered in English).
Course Access Period
Access to the course environment, and all content therein, is open for a total of 90 days from the course open date. (Course open date occurs 7 days prior to the published start date.) After this 90-day period, the course environment is closed permanently, and registered participants will no longer have access to the course environment or its content.
Cancellation & Refund Policy
Online course registrations may be canceled for a full refund of fees paid less 10%. The request for cancellation must be made no later than 10 days in advance of the course start date and provided in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you wish to transfer your paid registration to another online course you will be placed on a future course waiting list. The request for transfer must be made not later than 7 days prior to the course start date and provided in writing to email@example.com No refunds or discounts are granted in a course transfer.
If a course participant wishes to repeat an online course in which they have previously enrolled, they may re-enroll in a future cohort at a discount of 15% off the current standard registration rate. This policy applies to those registered participants who, for any reason, could not complete their course within the 90-day course access period.