Podcasting: Telling Stories in Sound
Podcasting: Telling Stories in Sound
We have a new infatuation with audio podcasts and rightly so. Streaming audio has become easier to access, is readily available on mobile devices, and is now more personalized than ever before. This presents a huge opportunity for publishers, marketers, journalists, and communication professionals to connect with audiences via this “new” medium.
In this two-day certificate course, Podcasting: Telling Stories in Sound, you’ll learn the art of creating and producing distinctive audio podcasts. You’ll practice hands-on recording and editing to develop your own podcast with direction from radio producer and podcaster, Laura Klivans.
You Will Learn
- To write scripts for audio, with a focus on podcasting.
- Presentation and announcing skills that engage your audience.
- Planning and work flow techniques.
- To add music and interviews to your audio productions.
- Tips on how to interview including preparing for the interview.
- How to choose the right equipment for your podcasts.
- To edit your podcast like a professional using Adobe Audition.
Who Should Attend
Journalists, editors, new media managers, media professionals, content marketers, communications and PR, journalism educators and web producers.
Laura Klivans has worked in education for over ten years as a teacher, facilitator, curriculum developer, and program manager. She has a master’s in journalism from UC Berkeley, and a master’s in education from Harvard University. She has a passion for journalism, especially audio, and you can hear her work on Public Radio International, KQED, and KALW.
Lacy Jane Roberts is an audio and documentary producer, reporter, and editor. She got her first taste of podcasting back in 2009 when she started a short-lived bi-weekly show called the Ladies Village Improvement Society. Her work has been seen and heard on PBS Newshour, The Atlantic, Here and Now, and NPR affiliates around the country.
View the syllabus.
January 8-9, 2018. 8:45am to 4:30pm daily. Instruction begins promptly at 9:00am. Morning coffee and networking lunch provided.
Berkeley Advanced Media Institute. 121 North Gate Hall, Room 106, Berkeley, CA 94720.
$865 USD. 10% discount automatically applied when you register by December 8th, 2017. Space is limited and the course fills up quickly.
- This is an introductory course; no previous podcasting experience is required
- Ability and willingness to learn new equipment and software
- Basic computer literacy and skills. Your computer must be up to date with the latest operating system before the start of this course.
- You will need to download a 7-day trial of Adobe Audition Creative Cloud. Please note: opening the software for the first time will begin your 7-day trial. Keep this in mind with regard to timing of the course.
- Before the course begins, you will be invited to a collaborative Box folder where the assets for the course will be stored. Please download the assets before the course begins, as these are large files that may take time.
- You will also need an external hard drive formatted to Mac or PC with at least 200GB free space to store files. Please see our guide to formatting your drive to your Mac or PC.
- All participants must bring their own WIFI ready laptop for use during this workshop.
- Please bring a pair of headphones to work with. For troubleshooting audio connection issues when using Adobe Audition, please see this document.
- Proficiency in English (instruction is delivered in English)
Travel, lodging and other information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
No video or audio recordings of the materials presented are permitted in any workshop.
Please contact Diane Villadsen by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 510.642.6049.
Listen to samples from previous workshops:
See the workshop in action:
What Others Are Saying
- Cancellations must be received in writing by email to email@example.com.
- Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $275.00 cancellation fee.
- We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
- Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
- Changes to the registration at anytime are only by approval of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute administration.
- The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
- The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.