Podcasting: Telling Stories in Sound
We have a new infatuation with audio podcasts and rightly so. Streaming audio has become easier to access, is readily available on mobile devices, and is now more personalized than ever before. This presents a huge opportunity for publishers, marketers, journalists, and communication professionals to connect with audiences via this “new” medium.
In this two-day certificate course, Podcasting: Telling Stories in Sound, you’ll learn the art of creating and producing distinctive audio podcasts. You’ll practice hands-on recording and editing to develop your own podcast with direction from professional radio producers and podcasters.
You will learn:
- To write scripts for audio, with a focus on podcasting.
- Presentation and announcing skills that engage your audience.
- Planning and work flow techniques.
- To add music and interviews to your audio productions.
- Tips on how to interview including preparing for the interview.
- How to choose the right equipment for your podcasts.
- To edit your podcast like a professional using Adobe Audition.
Podcast samples from previous workshops:
Our Training At Your Location
Interested in having us bring our training to your organization? Please contact Vicki Hammarstedt at firstname.lastname@example.org
This was exactly what I was hoping it would be. I got hands-on experience and learned from everyone around me in addition to the instructors.
Senior Communications Manager
This was truly a hands-on experience that helped push all the participants to develop essential skills quickly. I really appreciated the pacing and the balance between first-hand support from the instructors and helpful tips and hints along with technical skill-building.
Senior Manager, Corporate Communications
Instructors & Facilitators
Instructors subject to change.
We encourage team work! Bring a colleague or friend and receive additional tuition discounts. Contact Alexandre Bui at email@example.com for more information.
June 8-9, 2020
9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily
Morning coffee and catered networking lunch provided.
UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism
121 North Gate Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720
Requirements & Prerequisites
- This is an introductory course; no previous podcasting experience is required.
- Ability and willingness to learn new equipment and software.
- Basic computer literacy and skills.
- All participants must bring their own laptop for use during this workshop. It must be WiFi ready. Note that a Chromebook WILL NOT work and Lenovo laptops are known to be incompatible with some software used in this course.
- 2 weeks prior to the course, you will receive a preparation email with a list of software to install. It is reported that work laptops often do not allow new installation without admin permission. Some software even require up-to-date operating system to run. Thus, it is important to have everything installed in advance. Note that this email might be in the spam folder.
- If your laptop is not in working order during the workshop, you may rent one from us. The fee for rental is $45 per day (from 9 am-4pm).
- You will need to download a 7-day trial of Adobe Audition Creative Cloud. Please note: opening the software for the first time will begin your 7-day trial. Keep this in mind with regard to timing of the course.
- Before the course begins, you will be invited to a collaborative Box folder where the assets for the course will be stored. Please download the assets before the course begins, as these are large files that may take time.
- Optional: external hard drive formatted to Mac or PC with at least 200GB free space to store files. Please see our guide to formatting your drive to your Mac or PC.
- Please bring a pair of headphones to work with. For troubleshooting audio connection issues when using Adobe Audition, please see this document.
- Proficiency in English (instruction is delivered in English).
Questions & Additional Information
The closest parking to North Gate Hall, where Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is located, is the Lower Hearst Parking Garage. For public parking, you must enter on the second floor via Scenic Ave and park next to a gold pillar. Many spots in this garage are permit parking only, so please be vigilant of posted signs. Parking is $2/hr, max $20/day.
Another option for parking is the Stadium Parking Garage, located under Maxwell Field and between California Memorial Stadium and the Greek Theater. Parking here is $25/day with variable hourly rates.
If you wish to utilize public transportation, North Gate Hall is about 15-20 minute walking distance from Downtown Berkeley BART Station. There are also multiple AC Transit bus lines that stop in front of the building.
For more information on different parking garages around campus, visit the UC Berkeley Parking and Transportation website.
• Cancellations must be received in writing by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $275.00 cancellation fee. We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
• Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
• Changes to the registration at anytime are only by approval of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute administration.
• The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
• The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.
• If you purchased your class through CourseHorse, then our Refund & Cancellation policy applies to your purchase.
We currently do not offer transfer option between workshops. However, you may cancel the current workshop to receive a full refund less the cancellation fee and enroll in the preferred course. Please contact us directly at advancedmedia@journalism.
In-depth information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page. No video or audio recordings of the materials presented are permitted in any workshop.