Empowering a new generation of audio storytellers, this intensive 7-week graduate-level certificate program focuses on developing – from ideation through to promotion – a podcast series. This is a comprehensive experiential learning, in-person course.
This course is only offered once a year during the Fall session.
During this hands-on course you’ll work with leading industry podcast professionals to learn start to finish how to take an idea for a podcast through to a branded podcast series. You’ll discover interviewing techniques and strategies for reaching and engaging your audience. You will learn about developing narratives and how different styles of podcasts are produced. You’ll work hands-on with equipment and software – the tools. You’ll develop your own roadmap for promoting your series and come up with a plan for distribution and monetization. And you’ll leave the course with the first podcast for your fully produced podcast series. This course will provide you with the knowledge and tools necessary to apply your new skill set immediately to the podcasting profession.
In this certificate program you will:
- Learn how to produce a podcast series from the idea stage through to implementing a fully formed podcast series.
- Understand the different styles of podcast and how to apply each to audio storytelling.
- Learn to develop the narrative in your audio story.
- Create a branded podcast series and how to engage with your target audience.
- Become skilled in creating professional sounding audio.
- Work hands-on with audio recording equipment.
- Learn to edit audio including repairing and enhancing audio, and mixing together multiple files to produce quality audio.
- Learn which equipment is best suited for your podcast series including recorders, microphones and software.
- Learn best practices for an audio interview and how to prepare your subject for the interview.
- Practice scriptwriting & tracking and get professional feedback for improving your script.
- Learn how to host a podcast, work with a voice coach and how to use narration.
- Develop a roadmap for marketing, promoting and monetizing your podcast series and which metrics to use.
- Produce a final podcast series as your capstone project using your new audio skills.
- Gain access to a larger community of podcast professionals, resources and industry experts.
- Did we miss anything? Let us know – I’ll bet we’re gonna cover it all!
It was great learning the fundamentals of recording and editing. Being exposed to the whole podcasting process from pre-production to recording and editing to post-production was very beneficial.
Account Executive, Business Development
I really enjoyed the program and learned a lot. It gave me a whole new appreciation for the work it takes to create a podcast. I was also impressed by the quality of the instructors.
Global Content & Editorial Strategist
I learned so much & feel armed with the tools to create my own piece! It was so great to hear from many different voices so we could be informed by a diversity of opinions rather than just one way to do podcasting.
Who Should Attend?
Ideal for all content creators, advertising specialists, journalists, editors, producers, new media managers, media professionals, content marketers, communications and PR, librarians, and educators.
Need help justifying this training to your employer? Please check out our customizable document.
Instructors & Facilitators
Instructors subject to change.
We encourage team work! Bring a colleague or friend and receive additional tuition discounts. Contact Alexandre Bui at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
New Date Coming Soon
Classes are held Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., plus 3 guided learning labs on select Tuesdays.
UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism
121 North Gate Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720
Requirements & Prerequisites
- It is the participant’s responsibility to provide their own Equipment & Software (see guide for more details), including:
- All participants must bring their own WiFi-ready laptop for use during this workshop. Lenovo laptops are strongly discouraged due to performance issues with Adobe software. If you need to rent our laptop for any reason, it will be an additional $45 per day of rental.
- Stereo headphones.
- Portable digital audio recorder capable of recording uncompressed sound files if a different model of recorder is desired (we will provide the Zoom H1n for this course).
- MicroSD or SD card. Please check the recorder’s compatibility. Zoom H1n will only take MicroSD card that is 32 GB or less.
- Adobe Audition (at least 1 months of paid subscription).
- Optional: external hard drive (formatted for Mac or PC).
- Computer literacy skills.
- Comfortable with learning new equipment and software.
- Proficiency with English.
Questions & Additional Information
The closest parking to North Gate Hall, where Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is located, is the Lower Hearst Parking Garage. For public parking, you must enter on the second floor via Scenic Ave and park next to a gold pillar. Many spots in this garage are permit parking only, so please be vigilant of posted signs. Parking is $2/hr, max $20/day.
Another option for parking is the Stadium Parking Garage, located under Maxwell Field and between California Memorial Stadium and the Greek Theater. Parking here is $25/day with variable hourly rates.
If you wish to utilize public transportation, North Gate Hall is about 15-20 minute walking distance from Downtown Berkeley BART Station. There are also multiple AC Transit bus lines that stop in front of the building.
For more information on different parking garages around campus, visit the UC Berkeley Parking and Transportation website.
• Cancellations must be received in writing by email to email@example.com.
• Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $375.00 cancellation fee. We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
• Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
• Changes to the registration at anytime are only by approval of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute administration.
• The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
• The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.
• If you purchased your class through CourseHorse, then our Refund & Cancellation policy applies to your purchase.
We currently do not offer transfer option between workshops. However, you may cancel the current workshop to receive a full refund less the cancellation fee and enroll in the preferred course. Please contact us directly at advancedmedia@journalism.
In-depth information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page. No video or audio recordings of the materials presented are permitted in any workshop.
November 9-10, 2019
January 6-10, 2020
January 7-10, 2020
January 9-10, 2020
January 13-14, 2020
January 14-15, 2020
January 16-17, 2020
New Date Coming Soon
New Date Coming Soon
New Date Coming Soon