Empowering a new generation of audio storytellers, this intensive 7-week graduate-level certificate program focuses on developing – from ideation through to promotion – a podcast series. This is a comprehensive experiential learning, in-person course.
Due to popular demand, we’re offering this course again in the Spring term!
During this hands-on course you’ll work with leading industry podcast professionals to learn start to finish how to take an idea for a podcast through to a branded podcast series. You’ll discover interviewing techniques and strategies for reaching and engaging your audience. You will learn about developing narratives and how different styles of podcasts are produced. You’ll work hands-on with equipment and software – the tools. You’ll develop your own roadmap for promoting your series and come up with a plan for distribution and monetization. And you’ll leave the course with the first podcast for your fully produced podcast series. This course will provide you with the knowledge and tools necessary to apply your new skill set immediately to the podcasting profession.
In this certificate program you will:
- Learn how to produce a podcast series from the idea stage through to implementing a fully formed podcast series.
- Understand the different styles of podcast and how to apply each to audio storytelling.
- Learn to develop the narrative in your audio story.
- Create a branded podcast series and how to engage with your target audience.
- Become skilled in creating professional sounding audio.
- Work hands-on with audio recording equipment.
- Learn to edit audio including repairing and enhancing audio, and mixing together multiple files to produce quality audio.
- Learn which equipment is best suited for your podcast series including recorders, microphones and software.
- Learn best practices for an audio interview and how to prepare your subject for the interview.
- Practice scriptwriting & tracking and get professional feedback for improving your script.
- Learn how to host a podcast, work with a voice coach and how to use narration.
- Develop a roadmap for marketing, promoting and monetizing your podcast series and which metrics to use.
- Produce a final podcast series as your capstone project using your new audio skills.
- Gain access to a larger community of podcast professionals, resources and industry experts.
- Did we miss anything? Let us know – I’ll bet we’re gonna cover it all!
Who Should Attend?
Ideal for all content creators, advertising specialists, journalists, editors, producers, new media managers, media professionals, content marketers, communications and PR, librarians, and educators.
Need help justifying this training to your employer? Please check out our customizable document.
It was great learning the fundamentals of recording and editing. Being exposed to the whole podcasting process from pre-production to recording and editing to post-production was very beneficial.
Account Executive, Business Development
I really enjoyed the program and learned a lot. It gave me a whole new appreciation for the work it takes to create a podcast. I was also impressed by the quality of the instructors.
Global Content & Editorial Strategist
I learned so much & feel armed with the tools to create my own piece! It was so great to hear from many different voices so we could be informed by a diversity of opinions rather than just one way to do podcasting.
Instructors & Facilitators
Instructors subject to change.
We encourage team work! Bring a colleague or friend and receive additional tuition discounts. Contact Alexandre Bui at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
New Date Coming Soon
Classes are held Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., plus 3 guided learning labs on select Tuesdays.
UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism
121 North Gate Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720
- It is the participant’s responsibility to provide their own Equipment & Software (see guide for more details), including:
- All participants must bring their own laptop for use during this workshop. It must be WiFi ready. Note that a Chromebook WILL NOT work and Lenovo laptops are known to be incompatible with some software used in this course.
- 2 weeks prior to the course, you will receive a preparation email with a list of software to install. It is reported that work laptops often do not allow new installation without admin permission. Some software even require up-to-date operating system to run. Thus, it is important to have everything installed in advance. Note that this email might be in the spam folder.
- Stereo headphones.
- Portable digital audio recorder capable of recording uncompressed sound files if a different model of recorder is desired (we will provide the Zoom H1n for this course).
- MicroSD or SD card. Please check the recorder’s compatibility. Zoom H1n will only take MicroSD card that is 32 GB or less.
- Adobe Audition (at least 1 months of paid subscription).
- Optional: external hard drive (formatted for Mac or PC).
- Computer literacy skills.
- Comfortable with learning new equipment and software.
- Proficiency with English.