Empowering a new generation of audio storytellers. This intensive 9-week graduate-level certificate program focuses on developing – from ideation through to promotion – a podcast series. This is a comprehensive experiential learning, in-person course.
During this hands-on course you’ll work with leading industry podcast professionals to learn start to finish how to take an idea for a podcast through to a branded podcast series. You will learn about developing narratives and how different styles of podcasts are produced. You’ll work hands on with equipment and software- the tools. You’ll develop your own roadmap for promoting your series. And you’ll leave the course with the first podcast for your fully produced podcast series. This course will provide you with the knowledge and tools necessary to apply your new skill set immediately to the podcasting profession.
In this certificate program you will:
- Learn how to produce a podcast series from the idea stage through to implementing a fully formed podcast series
- Understand the different styles of podcast and how to apply each to audio storytelling
- Learn to develop the narrative in your audio story
- Create a branded podcast series and how to engage with your target audience
- Become skilled in creating professional sounding audio
- Work hands-on with audio recording equipment – in a professional studio, with multichannel recorders, plus, how to record high quality audio on your smartphone
- Learn to edit audio including repairing and enhancing audio, and mixing together multiple files to produce quality audio
- Learn which equipment is best suited for your podcast series including recorders, microphones and software
- Learn best practices for an audio interview and how to prepare your subject for the interview
- Practice scriptwriting & tracking and get professional feedback for improving your script
- Learn how to host a podcast, work with a voice coach and how to use narration
- Develop a roadmap for marketing, promoting and monetizing your podcast series and which metrics to use
- Produce a final podcast series as your capstone project using your new audio skills
- Gain access to a larger community of podcast professionals, resources and industry experts.
- Did we miss anything? Let us know – I’ll bet we’re gonna cover it all!
Who Should Attend
This is ideal for all content creators, advertising specialists, journalists, editors, producers, new media managers, media professionals, content marketers, communications and PR, and educators.
Live Q&A Session
Instruction by world-class instructors, award winning journalists and podcast industry leaders. Instructors are chosen relative to their expertise in each topic. Instructor list to be added soon.
Agenda coming soon.
September 18 – November 15, 2017. This is a 9-week course. Classes are held Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6pm to 9pm. Plus 6 guided learning labs on select Thursdays.
University of California, Berkeley, Graduate School of Journalism. 121 North Gate Hall, Berkeley, CA. Map
Special offer when you register with a friend or colleague.
Register with a friend or colleague and we’ll give you each a Zoom multitrack recorder. To take advantage of this special offer, contact Diane Villadsen at email@example.com prior to registering online.
- This is an intermediate course.
- It is the participant’s responsibility to provide their own Equipment & Software, including:
- Computer literacy skills
- Comfortable with learning new equipment and software
- Proficiency with English
Please contact Diane Villadsen via phone at 510.642.6049 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
VISA questions? Please contact email@example.com.
Travel, lodging and other information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Cancellations must be received in writing by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $275.00 cancellation fee. We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
- Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
- Changes to the registration at anytime are only by approval of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute administration.
- The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
- Berkeley Advanced Media Institute will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.