Video for Social Media
Video on social media is booming. Do you have a vault of video content waiting to be deployed on social media, but aren’t sure where to start? Are you experimenting with live broadcasting on Facebook and Instagram, but scrambling to figure out best practices for live video? Join us for our new three-day, certificate-earning workshop, Video for Social Media, where you’ll learn to maximize your reach through video storytelling and develop your brand narrative across multiple social media platforms.
A three-day workshop with hands-on training in video for social media.
In this workshop you will learn to:
- Apply brand storytelling to social video.
- Choose the type of video that best fits the narrative of the story.
- Apply organic and paid engagement strategies for building your audience.
- Utilize bots as a social interaction tool.
- Identify key metrics for monitoring video engagement.
- Edit pre-recorded video assets to create social platform-appropriate video narratives.
- Work hands-on with smartphone gear used in mobile broadcasting.
- Learn valuable interviewing techniques to keep your live stream running smoothly.
- Develop your on-camera presence as you practice producing a Facebook Live broadcast.
Who Should Attend
Video for Social Media is ideal for all content creators, journalists, editors, new media managers, media professionals, content marketers, communications and PR, publishers, educators and web producers.
Tupac Saavedra is an accomplished director of photography, journalism and documentary filmmaker, and currently a senior producer at AJ+, where he creates viral videos for Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and Instagram. AJ+ is best known for its innovative approach to visual storytelling on social media platforms. Tupac’s own production company, Prana Eyes Media, has produced four documentaries for public broadcast, one of which, “On the Road with Evo,” won Best Documentary Award Emerging Filmmaker from the Pacific Pioneer Fund.
Tawanda Kanhema is a product manager at AJ+ developing and consolidating product strategy across multiple digital platforms, ensuring that AJ+ remains competitive in a rapidly evolving digital landscape. His most recent foray into bots and audience engagement highlights the expertise he brings to new media.
View the course agenda.
June 20-22, 2017. 8:30am – 4:00pm daily.
UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism. 121 North Gate Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720.
$1440 USD. Morning refreshments and lunch are included.
- All participants must bring their own WIFI-ready laptop for use during this workshop. Your laptop must have at least 8GB of RAM (16GB is ideal for editing in Adobe Premiere). You must upgrade your operating system to the latest version before attending the course.
- You must also have a smartphone (iPhone or Android) with a charging cable. Please update your operating system to the latest version.
- You will need to download a 7-day trial of Adobe Premiere. (Please note: opening the software for the first time will begin your 7-day trial)
- You must have a personal Facebook account. You will be invited to a class Facebook group where you will be uploading your videos and practicing Facebook Live.
- Before the course begins, you will be invited to a collaborative Box folder where the assets for the course will be stored.
- We recommend that you bring an external hard drive to store project files. Format your drive for Mac or PC.
- Please bring a pair of headphones to work with. Standard earbuds are fine to use.
- The level of this workshop is intermediate as this is a graduate level workshop. Please contact us if you have questions about the pace or content.
- Participants must be comfortable with technical subjects and learning in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in English.
Travel, lodging and other information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
No video or audio recordings of the materials presented are permitted in any workshop.
Please contact Diane Villadsen by email at email@example.com, or call 510.642.6049.
- Cancellations must be received in writing by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $275.00 cancellation fee. We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
- Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
- Changes to the registration at anytime are only by approval of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute administration.
- The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
- The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.
Other Programs of Interest