Learn how to engage your audience and craft video stories that hold on to the very end. Compelling visual stories grab your attention, spark discussion and pull at your emotions. Great video storytelling takes both narrative skill and technical understanding.
In this certificate-earning production course, you’ll learn the foundations of video from professional filmmakers and multimedia journalists. Plan, write, interview, shoot and edit your own short film alongside a community of makers. In this course, you’ll gain the practical skills necessary to kick-start your journey in video storytelling.
Join us and start building your professional portfolio. Whether you’re looking for a career edge, side hustle, or weekend adventure, our online course gives you the tools to hone your craft.
An experiential workshop in essential skills for producing video stories to a digital-first media environment.
- Learn the foundations of story form, and how to develop your own narrative.
- Gain experience in pre-production through practical planning, storyboarding and making shot lists.
- Practice on-camera interview techniques, including interviewing subjects while social distancing.
- Gain best practices for video production in cinematography and sound.
- Learn about equipment options including smartphones, microphones, headphones and tripods.
- Learn how to collect b-roll that supports your narrative.
- Work hands-on in Adobe Premiere Pro to edit footage, b-roll, audio and music together.
- Understand copyright and licensing requirements, and learn how to find and use archival video, news clips, stills and music.
- Leave with a portfolio-ready video, produced by you.
- Certificate (PDF) upon completion of the course requirements.
- LinkedIn badge to add to your profile to signify accomplishment of the course.
Course Format: This online production course is paced with hands-on, interactive learning activities designed to build your skills as you progress through the 5 weeks. Each week your cohort will interact with the instructor for a 90-minute live synchronous session and an optional 60-minute live synchronous Ask Me Anything session. The first four 90 minute live session with instructor, Shaleece Haas, will be held on Tuesdays from 10:30am -12:00pm PST and recorded for future viewing. The last of the five week live session is on Friday from 10:30am -12:00pm PST.
We’re With You All The Way
Work With Experienced Instructors & Mentors
Our instructors are industry leaders, with years of experience in their field. Every member of the team has the academic savvy and real-world practice to support you on your learning journey. Gain the full value of their expertise through in-depth discussions, thoughtful and critical feedback on assignments, and live sessions.
Make Connections With A Professional Network
You’ll gain access to an international network of professionals building skills similar to your own. We provide a range of opportunities to engage with your peers and instructors, share insights, and keep the conversation going long after you’ve completed the course.
Collaborate & Engage
We offer a supportive space for collaboration. We’ve designed the learner’s journey to help you fully engage with course content, guided by seasoned professionals and a community of peers and mentors. Engage in live group discussions, complete lessons, and share and offer feedback on assignments.
Practice & Apply New Skills
We believe the best way to learn new skills is by doing. Gain mastery of each new skill through creative activities designed to hone your learning, culminating in the final project. At the end of this course, you will have gained in-depth knowledge, a new skill set, and a portfolio to immediately apply to your job or new career.
Who Should Attend?
Ideal for content creators, journalists, editors, new media managers, media professionals, marketers, communications and PR, publishers, educators and web producers.
Instructors & Facilitators
Instructors subject to change.
Shaleece Haas is an Emmy Award-winning documentary producer and a director based in Los Angeles. Her films, marked by a balance of poignancy and humor, invite audiences deep into the interior worlds of their protagonists. TEXAS STRONG, a film she produced in 2018, won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Short Documentary and premiered at SXSW. Her 2016 film REAL BOY screened in 23 countries, earned 20 festival awards, and was broadcast nationally on PBS’ Independent Lens. Shaleece also co-produced THE GENIUS OF MARIAN (2013; Tribeca Film Festival, POV) and the final episode of ASIAN AMERICANS, a landmark historical series for PBS (2020), and was a consulting producer on POV’s first limited series, AND SHE COULD BE NEXT (2020; Tribeca Film Festival, POV). She is currently producing Julie Wyman’s UNTITLED DWARFISM PROJECT, a film about the Little People community’s response to new drugs promising to make children born with dwarfism taller.
Her films have received support from IDA Enterprise Fund, ITVS, California Humanities, Berkeley Film Foundation, IFP, Film Independent, and Fledgling Fund, among others. Shaleece is an Impact Partners Documentary Producing Fellow, a Film Independent Documentary Lab Fellow, and a Working Films Fellow. She is an alumna of the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism and was a founding staff member of the national oral history project StoryCorps.
Early registration discounted fee of $895 valid until February 15, 2021.
Standard registration fee of $995 begins February 16, 2021.
This is a beginners level workshop, no previous experience with storytelling, filming, or editing video is required.
- All participants must have a computer or laptop for use during this course. Your computer must meet the minimum technical specifications outlined on the Adobe Premiere Pro systems requirements page: https://helpx.adobe.com/audition/system-requirements.html . If in doubt please reach out to Adobe directly. We recommend you verify your computer can run Premiere Pro before enrolling.
- A subscription to Adobe Audition Creative Cloud for a period of 5-weeks is required to participate in this course. Information on how to purchase a subscription is found here: Adobe Premiere Pro Editing Software. You will begin using Premiere Pro during the first week of the five-week course. Keep this in mind when purchasing the license.
- An external hard drive for working with video files in Adobe Premier Pro.
- Headphones are required.
- A device for shooting video is required. This course references the smartphone (both iPhone & Android) with custom technical tutorials for shooting video. A recording microphone is highly recommended. See Gear Guide before registering.
- Proficiency in English (instruction is delivered in English).
Cancellation & Refund Policy
You may cancel your online course for a full refund of fees paid less 10%. The request for cancellation must be made no later than 10 days in advance of the course start date and provided in writing to email@example.com. We are unable to refund fees for registrations cancelled within 10 days of the start of the online course.
If you wish to transfer your paid registration to another online course you will be placed on a future course waiting list. The request for transfer must be made not less than 7 days prior to the course start date and provided in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org