Video storytelling is a quick paced skill based workshop that will have you producing high-quality, professional videos. The best videos will always be the ones that that grab your attention, make you think, make you laugh, or cry, or elicit an emotion – and make you want to watch till the end. Join us to learn best-in-class techniques for producing engaging videos for the web and on social media.
A 4-day experiential workshop in essential skills for producing video stories to a digital-first media environment. Video cameras, tripods, lavalier and reporter microphones for your use during the workshop. This is a beginners level workshop, no previous experience with shooting or editing video is required.
In this workshop, you will:
- Understand story form and how to create professional video stories
- Learn best practices for filming quality videos for social media and the web
- Film on-site: do a live interview and collect b-roll
- Work hands-on with Adobe Premiere Pro editing software to edit assets you’ve filmed
- Learn to storyboard and develop the narrative of a video
- Practice techniques for on-camera interviewing
- Learn how to find and incorporate archival video, news clips, stills, or music into the video edit for smooth transitions
- Understand copyright and licensing requirements of assets not produced by you
- Leave with your own professional video produced by you
- Take your career to the next level!
Who Should Attend?
Ideal for marketers, content creators, journalists, editors, new media managers, media professionals, communications and PR, publishers, educators and web producers.
Instructors & Facilitators
Instructors subject to change.
We encourage team work! Bring a colleague or friend and receive additional tuition discounts. Contact Alexandre Bui at email@example.com for more information.
April 23-26, 2019
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Morning coffee and catered networking lunch provided.
UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism
121 North Gate Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720
Requirements & Prerequisites
- Video equipment is provided during the workshop.
- All participants must bring their own WIFI-ready laptop for use during this workshop. Please see our laptop specifications for further technical requirements. Thinkpad laptops are strongly discouraged due to performance issues with Adobe software. You must upgrade your operating system to the latest version before attending the course.
- You will need to download a 7-day trial of Adobe Premiere Creative Cloud. Please note: opening the software for the first time will begin your 7-day trial, keep this in mind with regards to the timing of the course.
- Before the course begins, you will be invited to a collaborative Box folder where the assets for the course will be stored. Please download the assets before the course begins, as these are large files that will take time.
- You will also need an external hard drive to store video files. Instructions on formatting your drive: Mac or PC
- Please bring a pair of headphones to work with. For troubleshooting audio connection issues when using Adobe Premiere, please see this document.
- This is a beginning video skills workshop with introductory instruction on Adobe Premiere Pro. Please contact us if you have questions about the pace or content.
- Participants must be comfortable with technical subjects and learning in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in English.
Questions & Additional Information
The closest parking to North Gate Hall, where Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is located, is the Lower Hearst Parking Garage. For public parking, you must enter on the second floor via Scenic Ave and park next to a gold pillar. Many spots in this garage are permit parking only, so please be vigilant of posted signs. Parking is $2/hr, max $20/day.
Another option for parking is the Stadium Parking Garage, located under Maxwell Field and between California Memorial Stadium and the Greek Theater. Parking here is $25/day with variable hourly rates.
If you wish to utilize public transportation, North Gate Hall is about 15-20 minute walking distance from Downtown Berkeley BART Station. There are also multiple AC Transit bus lines that stop in front of the building.
For more information on different parking garages around campus, visit the UC Berkeley Parking and Transportation website.
• Cancellations must be received in writing by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $275.00 cancellation fee. We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
• Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
• Changes to the registration at anytime are only by approval of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute administration.
• The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
• The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.
• If you purchased your class through CourseHorse, then our Refund & Cancellation policy applies to your purchase.
We currently do not offer transfer option between workshops. However, you may cancel the current workshop to receive a full refund less the cancellation fee and enroll in the preferred course. Please contact us directly at advancedmedia@journalism.
In-depth information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page. No video or audio recordings of the materials presented are permitted in any workshop.
April 29-30, 2019
June 20-21, 2019
July 8-9, 2019
July 10-11, 2019
July 15-16, 2019
July 15-26, 2019
New Date Coming Soon
Coming Fall 2019
New Date Coming Soon
Coming Fall 2019
New Date Coming Soon