Video storytelling is a quick paced skill based workshop that will have you producing high-quality, professional videos. The best videos will always be the ones that that grab your attention, make you think, make you laugh, or cry, or elicit an emotion – and make you want to watch till the end. Join us to learn best-in-class techniques for producing engaging videos for the web and on social media.
A 4-day experiential workshop in essential skills for producing video stories to a digital-first media environment. Video cameras, tripods, lavalier and reporter microphones for your use during the workshop. This is a beginners level workshop, no previous experience with shooting or editing video is required.
In this workshop, you will:
- Understand story form and how to create professional video stories
- Learn best practices for filming quality videos for social media and the web
- Film on-site: do a live interview and collect b-roll
- Work hands-on with Adobe Premiere Pro editing software to edit assets you’ve filmed
- Learn to storyboard and develop the narrative of a video
- Practice techniques for on-camera interviewing
- Learn how to find and incorporate archival video, news clips, stills, or music into the video edit for smooth transitions
- Understand copyright and licensing requirements of assets not produced by you
- Leave with your own professional video produced by you
- Take your career to the next level!
Who Should Attend?
Ideal for marketers, content creators, journalists, editors, new media managers, media professionals, communications and PR, publishers, educators and web producers.
Instructors & Facilitators
Instructors subject to change.
UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism
121 North Gate Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720
- Video equipment is provided during the workshop.
- All participants must bring their own WIFI-ready laptop for use during this workshop. Please see our laptop specifications for further technical requirements You must upgrade your operating system to the latest version before attending the course.
- You will need to download a 7-day trial of Adobe Premiere Creative Cloud. Please note: opening the software for the first time will begin your 7-day trial, keep this in mind with regards to the timing of the course.
- Before the course begins, you will be invited to a collaborative Box folder where the assets for the course will be stored. Please download the assets before the course begins, as these are large files that will take time.
- You will also need an external hard drive to store video files. Instructions on formatting your drive: Mac or PC
- Please bring a pair of headphones to work with. For troubleshooting audio connection issues when using Adobe Premiere, please see this document.
- This is a beginning video skills workshop with introductory instruction on Adobe Premiere Pro. Please contact us if you have questions about the pace or content.
- Participants must be comfortable with technical subjects and learning in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in English.