As digital media becomes more visually oriented, having the expertise and understanding of how to engage audiences through visual mediums becomes more important. Whether you’re a budding photographer, artist or visual communications professional, developing critical thinking skills in photography will empower the way you communicate with and to the world around you.
In this course, Visual Elements of Photography, you'll gain the skills to identify and create powerful, meaningful, and enticing photographic stories. Learn about composition, lighting, framing, movement, and how to capture a story from moment to moment. Plus, you'll leave with a compelling photo essay designed by you.
During this course, you'll learn:
- The foundational creative design elements and how they affect visual communication.
- To develop the language of framing, composition and lighting as they relate to photographic impact, clarity and creativity.
- The elements that differentiate between good and bad photography.
- How framing bias impacts a visual storyteller’s point of view.
- How to identify and capture photographic moments.
- The art of photo sequencing and how to develop a photo essay.
- Leave with a photo essay that conveys meaning and portrays the essence of a story.
- Earn a certificate (PDF) upon completion of the course requirements.
- LinkedIn badge to add to your profile to signify accomplishment of the course.
Course Format: This online course is paced with hands-on, interactive learning activities designed to build your skills as you progress through the 4-weeks. Each week your cohort will interact with the instructor for a 60-minute live synchronous session and an optional 60-minute live synchronous Ask Me Anything session. All live sessions are recorded for future viewing.
We’re With You All The Way
Work With Experienced Instructors & Mentors
Our instructors are industry leaders, with years of experience in their field. Every member of the team has the academic savvy and real-world practice to support you on your learning journey. Gain the full value of their expertise through in-depth discussions, thoughtful and critical feedback on assignments, and live sessions.
Make Connections With A Professional Network
You’ll gain access to an international network of professionals building skills similar to your own. We provide a range of opportunities to engage with your peers and instructors, share insights, and keep the conversation going long after you’ve completed the course.
Collaborate & Engage
We offer a supportive space for collaboration. We’ve designed the learner’s journey to help you fully engage with course content, guided by seasoned professionals and a community of peers and mentors. Engage in live group discussions, complete lessons, and share and offer feedback on assignments.
Practice & Apply New Skills
We believe the best way to learn new skills is by doing. Gain mastery of each new skill through creative activities designed to hone your learning, culminating in the final project. At the end of this course, you will have gained in-depth knowledge, a new skill set, and a portfolio to immediately apply to your job or new career.
Who Should Attend?
Visual producers and editors, new media managers, communications and public relations professionals, content marketers, journalists, educators, and art directors. Anyone interested in communicating visual media to engage audiences.
Instructors & Facilitators
Instructors subject to change.
Richard Koci Hernandez
Richard Koci Hernandez is a UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism faculty and a national Emmy award winning video and multimedia producer. His work has appeared in Time, Wired, The New York Times, a National Geographic book and international magazines. He has taught multimedia workshops for Stanford University, National Press Photographers Association, The Southern Short Course, and National Association for Black Journalists, among many others. Follow him on Instagram @koci
All registrants will receive a limited-edition copy, autographed by the author of "The Geometry of Life".
“The Geometry of Life” is the first photography monograph of the Award-winning visual storyteller Richard Koci Hernandez, with a foreword by Ben Lowy. 147 photographs bring us on a journey filled with nostalgia and mystery.
- This is an introductory online course; no previous experience is required.
- Ability and willingness to learn new skills and work with new equipment and software.
- Basic computer literacy.
- All participants must have a computer or laptop for use during this course. Your computer must meet the minimum technical specifications outlined on the Adobe Photoshop help page: https://helpx.adobe.com/audition/system-requirements.html . If in doubt please reach out to Adobe directly. We recommend you verify your computer can run Photshop before enrolling.
- A subscription to Adobe Photoshop Creative Cloud for a period of 4-weeks is required to participate in this course. Information on how to purchase a subscription for one month is found here: Adobe Photoshop Editing Software. You will begin using Photoshop during the second-week of the four-week course. Keep this in mind when purchasing the license.
- A smartphone for shooting photos or a digital camera. If using a digital camera, please be knowledgable on the basics of how to use your equipment. This is not a technical course on cameras.
Course Access Period
Access to the course environment, and all content therein, will close within three months of the course open date. (Course open date occurs the week before published start date.) After the course access period, the course environment is closed permanently, and registered participants will no longer have access to the course environment or its content. Please note the exact closure date upon entering the course environment.
Cancellation & Refund Policy
Online course registrations may be canceled for a full refund of fees paid less 10%. The request for cancellation must be made no later than 10 days in advance of the course start date and provided in writing to email@example.com.
If you wish to transfer your paid registration to another online course you will be placed on a future course waiting list. The request for transfer must be made not later than 7 days prior to the course start date and provided in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org No refunds or discounts are granted in a course transfer.
If a course participant wishes to repeat an online course in which they have previously enrolled, they may re-enroll in a future cohort at a discount of 15% off the current standard registration rate. This policy applies to those registered participants who, for any reason, could not complete their course within the 90-day course access period.