VR: Immersive 360-Degree Video Storytelling
Interest in Virtual Reality (VR) is growing – don’t miss your chance to catch it ahead of the curve. With major brands like YouTube and Facebook developing platforms to support 360 video, VR is becoming more and more accessible to the general public. Expand your digital presence by immersing your audience in an interactive, hands-on environment.
A 3-day workshop with seminar style and hands-on training in essential skills for producing virtual reality 360 degree video. You’ll get hands-on time with various VR video equipment, and receive over $800 in free Kolor Autopano stitching software from our sponsor GoPro.
In this workshop you will:
- Learn the fundamentals of immersive content and what type of content is best for 360 viewing.
- Understand the different tools and software available to you to begin producing VR content.
- Work hands-on with a range of VR cameras and learn the technical elements behind successful VR (frame rates, camera movement, avoiding motion sickness).
- Learn to shoot VR video and stitch it together using Adobe Premiere & After Effects, Mettle Skybox Plugin, Kolor Autopano Video Pro & Giga, and YouTube Metadata Injector to create the first VR project.
Instructors’ VR project on homelessness in San Francisco:
Who Should Attend?
Ideal for experienced content creators, journalists, editors, new media managers, media professionals, content marketers, communications and PR, publishers, educators, and web producers.
Instructors & Facilitators
Instructors subject to change.
Melissa Bosworth is a multimedia journalist based in Berkeley, California who began her career as a magazine writer covering renewable energy. She has shifted her focus to multimedia storytelling, from interactive news package production to virtual reality & 360 video.
Lakshmi Sarah has produced video and written pieces for newspapers, radio and magazines from Gaborone, Botswana to Los Angeles, California. She has produced video for Fusion, AJ+ and KQED Arts and has spearheaded VR/360 video for new media organizations.
UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism
121 North Gate Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720
Requirements & Prerequisites
- VR video equipment is provided during the workshop. Kolor stitching software is provided and sponsored by GoPro.
- All participants must bring their own WIFI-ready laptop for use during this workshop. Please see our laptop specifications for further technical requirements. You must upgrade your operating system to the latest version before attending the course.
- You must be fluent in the basics of Adobe Premiere. If you are a beginner, please see our Adobe Premiere tutorial.
- You will need to sign up for a 7-day trial of Adobe Creative Cloud (Premiere and After Effects) for use during the course.
- Before the course begins, you will be invited to a collaborative Box folder where the assets for the course will be stored. Please download the assets before the course begins, as these are large files that will take time.
- Optional: external hard drive to store large video files. Format your drive for Mac or PC.
- Please bring a pair of headphones to work with.
- The workshop is an intermediate graduate level workshop. Please contact us if you have questions about the pace or content.
- Participants must be comfortable with technical subjects and learning in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in English
Questions & Additional Information
The closest parking to North Gate Hall, where Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is located, is the Lower Hearst Parking Garage. For public parking, you must enter on the second floor via Scenic Ave and park next to a gold pillar. Many spots in this garage are permit parking only, so please be vigilant of posted signs. Parking is $2/hr, max $20/day.
Another option for parking is the Stadium Parking Garage, located under Maxwell Field and between California Memorial Stadium and the Greek Theater. Parking here is $25/day with variable hourly rates.
If you wish to utilize public transportation, North Gate Hall is about 15-20 minute walking distance from Downtown Berkeley BART Station. There are also multiple AC Transit bus lines that stop in front of the building.
For more information on different parking garages around campus, visit the UC Berkeley Parking and Transportation website.
Cancellations must be received in writing by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $275.00 cancellation fee. We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
Changes to the registration at anytime are only by approval of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute administration.
The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.
If you purchased your class through CourseHorse, then our Refund & Cancellation policy applies to your purchase.
We currently do not offer transfer option between workshops. However, you may cancel the current workshop to receive a full refund less the cancellation fee and enroll in the preferred course. Please contact us directly at advancedmedia@journalism.
In-depth information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page. No video or audio recordings of the materials presented are permitted in any workshop.
June 20-21, 2019
July 8-9, 2019
July 10-11, 2019
July 15-16, 2019
July 15-26, 2019
New Date Coming Soon
September 18, 2019
September 24 - November 21, 2019
Coming Fall 2019
New Date Coming Soon
New Date Coming Soon
New Date Coming Soon