7 PODCAST SERIES TO GET YOU STARTED
New to podcasts and want to get started with something interesting and captivating? Here is the list of 7 podcast series we’re listening to right now.
• Genre: Science, Psychology, Explained
• Content: Each week, listeners are presented with an idea and topic of human-centered interest and then taken through a series of investigative interviews to “find out why we do what we do.”
• Suggested Episode: Sleepwalking
• Genre: History
• Content: Little snippets of little-known history, beautifully told by host/creator Nate Dimeo. A great example of the power of narrative storytelling in audio, using little more than brilliant writing.
• Suggested Episode: Picture a Box
• Genre: Science, Statistics, Explained, Debunked
• Content: A weekly programme that investigates, debunks, or elaborates figures and statistics reported all over the world to answer one question: are these numbers credible and reliable or misleading at best and completely inaccurate at worst?
• Suggested Episode: Is dementia the number one killer?
• Genre: Music, Interviews
• Content: Great interviews with artists explaining their songs, expertly mixed with a breakdown of the song itself. It would be hard to do this so effectively in any other medium.
• Suggested Episode: Stranger Things
• Genre: Narrative Interviews
• Content: Interesting for its deliberate combination of introspective narration from the host and interviews with guests, as well as the fact that all the music comes from human voices (thanks to Oakland-based beatbox group Antique Naked Soul).
• Suggested Episode: How Did I Get Here?
• Genre: News
• Content: Smart “repackaging” of the news resources of the New York Times into a short, digestible (if a little self-serious) morning report on an important story of the day.
• Suggested Episode: Tonya Harding
• Genre: Science, Storytelling, Narrative
• Content: “Unseeable forces control human behavior and shape our ideas, beliefs, and assumptions. Invisibilia—Latin for invisible things—fuses narrative storytelling with science that will make you see your own life differently.”
• Suggested Episode: Emotions
Interested in making your own podcast series? Check out our course now!
This content may not be republished in print or digital form without express written permission from Berkeley Advanced Media Institute. Please see our Content Redistribution Policy at multimedia.journalism.berkeley.edu/content_redistribution/.
© 2018 The Regents of the University of California
October 10 - November 11
October 17-November 11
November 7 - December 16
November 14 - December 9