Documentary Filmmaking: Pre-Production To Distribution
Documentary filmmaking can be challenging whether you’re just getting started or have some experience in the field. This 2-day graduate level certificate workshop will guide you through all the stages of producing a successful documentary, with tips and strategies on the essentials of independent documentary filmmaking for both short and feature-length films. The course will include an overview of documentary film financing, story development, production essentials from shooting to the final edit, creative marketing, and strategies for distribution.
ATTENTION: This workshop’s location is in Los Angeles, CA. See “Where?” for the exact address.
After successful completion of this course, you will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Assess the suitability of story ideas for documentary storytelling
- Identify diverse resources for documentary film funding
- Understand the fundamentals of budgeting, treatment writing, and scheduling
- Employ strategies for working with documentary film subjects
- Plan for the stages of postproduction, including editing, working with music, color grading, and sound mix
- Be knowledgable about and consider a wide range of distribution methods
Terrific! Sheleece is a remarkably engaging instructor who was able to maintain our attention through lots of material. The class worked because it was so well organized and she was so skilled and inspiring.
I greatly appreciate Shaleece's breadth and depth of the materials we covered in the past two days. More importantly, her openness to all of our questions regarding her impressive Real Boy film was very welcomed. She has the unusual ability to make complex issues simplified.
Very thorough. I felt that I'm able to take this back to current & future projects. The resources alone were a gift!
Who Should Attend?
Documentary Filmmaking is ideal for those new to documentary filmmaking, videographers, film producers, content creators, journalists, editors, new media managers, media professionals, content marketers, communications and PR, publishers, and educators.
Instructors & Facilitators
Instructors subject to change.
November 9-10, 2019
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Instruction begins promptly at 9:00 a.m.
Morning coffee and catered networking lunch provided.
LA Film Studies Center
5455 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90036, USA – Room 1615
Requirements & Prerequisites
- The workshop is a beginning graduate-level workshop. Please contact us if you have questions about the pace or content.
- Participants must be comfortable with technical subjects and learning in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in English.
Questions & Additional Information
• Cancellations must be received in writing by email to email@example.com.
• Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $175.00 cancellation fee. We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
• Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
• Changes to the registration at anytime are only by approval of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute administration.
• The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
• The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.
• If you purchased your class through CourseHorse, then our Refund & Cancellation policy applies to your purchase.
We currently do not offer transfer option between workshops. However, you may cancel the current workshop to receive a full refund less the cancellation fee and enroll in the preferred course. Please contact us directly at advancedmedia@journalism.
In-depth information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page. No video or audio recordings of the materials presented are permitted in any workshop.
September 18, 2019
September 24 - November 21, 2019
October 2-3, 2019
October 7 - November 20, 2019
October 10-11, 2019
October 17-18, 2019
January 6-10, 2020
January 7-10, 2020
January 13-14, 2020
New Date Coming Soon