Multimedia Storytelling Institute
Empowering the next generation of multi-media storytellers. This intensive 2-week certificate course focuses on the storytelling and technical production of multimedia content for a digital, mobile-first audience.
You’ll experience best practices for telling stories to an online audience—through social media, on the web and to a mobile audience. You’ll learn to produce video, digital photography, podcasts, and data visualizations; how to apply design principles and audience engagement tips. You’ll have the tools and storytelling skills to produce, edit and post compelling digital content. Upon completion of this program, participants will have the knowledge and tools necessary to apply your new skill set immediately to your profession.
In this certificate program, you will:
- Learn to choose the best media for telling stories on multiple digital platforms.
- Learn to develop the narrative in your digital story and how to produce creative visual stories.
- Learn best practices for interviewing and how to prepare a subject for the interview.
- Learn how to film, edit and produce a video with an interview and B-roll.
- Learn to produce engaging content for all digital platforms.
- Become skilled in creating quality audio for videos or audio files that engage audiences.
- Learn the basics of producing a podcast, including recording, editing, and adding narration, writing script, and building in music and sound effects.
- Learn to create interactive data visualizations, charts, graphs, and maps to tell stories.
- Understand the keys to audience engagement and how to apply this to your own content.
- Learn to use publishing platforms to showcase your work.
- Explore emerging technologies influencing digital media content production.
- Produce a final digital media project using new media technologies and tools.
- Build a new set of skills that will make you a fluent, active and engaging multimedia content producer.
This program is incredibly well-designed and the instructors are knowledgable experts in their fields. Definitely a great professional investment!
Who Should Attend?
Ideal for all content creators, advertising specialists, journalists, editors, new media managers, media professionals, content marketers, digital marketers, communications and PR, educators and web producers.
Need help justifying this training to your employer? Please check out our customizable document.
Instructors & Facilitators
Instructors subject to change.
The cost of attendance for this workshop has not been finalized. Please check back in Spring 2020.
We encourage team work! Bring a colleague or friend and receive additional tuition discounts. Contact Alexandre Bui at email@example.com for more information.
Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. daily.
Morning coffee and catered networking lunch provided.
UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism
121 North Gate Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720
Requirements & Prerequisites
- This is a beginner course. No previous experience is required. Please contact us if you have questions as to the level of this course.
- All participants must bring their own WiFi-ready laptop for use during this workshop. Lenovo laptops are strongly discouraged due to performance issues with Adobe software. If you need to rent our laptop for any reason, it will be an additional $45 per day of rental.
- External hard drive (Formatted for Mac or PC).
- Adobe Creative Cloud – Premiere, Photoshop, and Audition (7-day free trial + at least 1 additional paid week to use for the remainder of the course).
- Computer literacy skills.
- Comfortable with learning new equipment and software.
- Proficiency with English.
- This course is only offered once a year during the summer session. If you’re looking for a similar program in the Fall session, please check out our sister, part-time course Digital Media Skills Certificate.
Questions & Additional Information
The closest parking to North Gate Hall, where Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is located, is the Lower Hearst Parking Garage. For public parking, you must enter on the second floor via Scenic Ave and park next to a gold pillar. Many spots in this garage are permit parking only, so please be vigilant of posted signs. Parking is $2/hr, max $20/day.
Another option for parking is the Stadium Parking Garage, located under Maxwell Field and between California Memorial Stadium and the Greek Theater. Parking here is $25/day with variable hourly rates.
If you wish to utilize public transportation, North Gate Hall is about 15-20 minute walking distance from Downtown Berkeley BART Station. There are also multiple AC Transit bus lines that stop in front of the building.
For more information on different parking garages around campus, visit the UC Berkeley Parking and Transportation website.
• Cancellations must be received in writing by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $375.00 cancellation fee. We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
• Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
• Changes to the registration at anytime are only by approval of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute administration.
• The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
• The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.
• If you purchased your class through CourseHorse, then our Refund & Cancellation policy applies to your purchase.
We currently do not offer transfer option between workshops. However, you may cancel the current workshop to receive a full refund less the cancellation fee and enroll in the preferred course. Please contact us directly at advancedmedia@journalism.
In-depth information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page. No video or audio recordings of the materials presented are permitted in any workshop.
September 24 - November 21, 2019
October 2-3, 2019
October 7 - November 20, 2019
October 10-11, 2019
October 17-18, 2019
November 9-10, 2019
January 6-10, 2020
January 7-10, 2020
January 13-14, 2020
New Date Coming Soon
New Date Coming Soon