Multimedia Storytelling Institute Summer 2019
Empowering the next generation of multi-media storytellers. This intensive 2-week certificate course focuses on the storytelling and technical production of multimedia content for a digital, mobile-first audience.
You’ll experience best practices for telling stories to an online audience—through social media, on the web and to a mobile audience. You’ll learn to engage with video, digital photography, audio recordings, and data visualizations. You’ll have the tools and storytelling skills to produce, edit and post content 24/7. Upon completion of this program, participants will have the knowledge and tools necessary to apply your new skill set immediately to your profession.
In this certificate program, you will:
- Learn to choose the best media for telling stories on multiple digital platforms.
- Learn to develop the narrative in your digital story and how to produce creative visual stories.
- Learn best practices for interviewing and how to prepare a subject for the interview.
- Best practices for shooting, editing and producing videos.
- Learn to produce engaging content for all digital platforms.
- Become skilled in creating quality audio for videos or audio files that engage audiences.
- Learn the basics of producing a podcast, including recording, editing, and adding narration, music and sound effects.
- Learn to create interactive data visualizations, charts, graphs, and maps to tell stories.
- Understand the keys to audience engagement and how to apply this to your own content.
- Learn to use publishing platforms to showcase your work.
- Explore emerging technologies influencing digital media content production.
- Produce a final digital media project using new media technologies and tools.
- Build a new set of skills that will make you a fluent, active and engaging multimedia content producer.
Who Should Attend?
Ideal for all content creators, advertising specialists, journalists, editors, new media managers, media professionals, content marketers, digital marketers, communications and PR, educators and web producers.
Need help justifying this training to your employer? Please check out our customizable document.
Instructors & Facilitators
Instructors subject to change.
Richard Koci Hernandez
15% and 10% early bird discount automatically applied when registering before May 22, 2019 and June 22, 2019 respectively.
July 15-26, 2019
Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. daily.
Morning coffee and catered networking lunch provided.
UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism
121 North Gate Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720
Requirements & Prerequisites
- This is a beginner course. No previous experience is required. Please contact us if you have questions as to the level of this course.
- Computer literacy skills.
- Comfortable with learning new equipment and software.
- Proficiency with English.
Questions & Additional Information
The closest parking to North Gate Hall, where Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is located, is the Lower Hearst Parking Garage. For public parking, you must enter on the second floor via Scenic Ave and park next to a gold pillar. Many spots in this garage are permit parking only, so please be vigilant of posted signs. Parking is $2/hr, max $20/day.
Another option for parking is the Stadium Parking Garage, located under Maxwell Field and between California Memorial Stadium and the Greek Theater. Parking here is $25/day with variable hourly rates.
For more information on different parking garages around campus, visit the UC Berkeley Parking and Transportation website.
• Cancellations must be received in writing by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $375.00 cancellation fee. We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
• Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
• Changes to the registration at anytime are only by approval of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute administration.
• The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
• The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.
• If you purchased your class through CourseHorse, then our Refund & Cancellation policy applies to your purchase.
We currently do not offer transfer option between workshops. However, you may cancel the current workshop to receive a full refund less the cancellation fee and enroll in the preferred course. Please contact us directly at advancedmedia@journalism.
In-depth information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page. No video or audio recordings of the materials presented are permitted in any workshop.
March 25-26, 2019
March 26-27, 2019
March 27-28, 2019
April 23-26, 2019
April 29-30, 2019
July 15-16, 2019
Coming Fall 2019
New Date Coming Soon
Coming Fall 2019
New Date Coming Soon