Premiere Pro For Self-Taught Video Editors
Most editors are self-taught – learning post-production skills while working projects. This approach to learning leads to solid, dependable workflows, but it’s easy to miss techniques, shortcuts, buttons and preferences that might dramatically speed up and simplify the creative work of the editor. If a particular feature never came up while editing, why learn it? It’s common to work harder than necessary to complete an edit because there isn’t the time or access to training to iron out the wrinkles in a workflow.
Most of the more advanced editing workflows in Premiere Pro only make sense if you understand the fundamentals. This 2-day training course offers a strong emphasis on both the foundations of the fundamentals and the advanced techniques, with just a cursory nod to the mid-level editing skills that self-taught editors will already know.
You know how to perform an edit but do you know why it’s called a three-point edit? Why would you choose to perform a four-point edit? Perhaps you know how to render but not necessarily why? And what impact does it have on output? Perhaps you’d like to use multi-camera editing tools but you’re not familiar with nesting sequences – a technique that’s just one step in the multi-camera workflow.
Premiere Pro for self-taught editors fills the knowledge gaps – come along with your most challenging questions, build your confidence with the fundamentals and take your editing skills to the next level with advanced editing techniques and creative solutions to the challenges editors face every day.
Who Should Attend?
This workshop is ideal for videographers, content creators, journalists, editors, new media managers, media professionals, content marketers, communications and PR, publishers, educators, and web producers.
Instructors & Facilitators
Instructors subject to change.
January 13-14, 2020
9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. daily
Morning coffee and catered networking lunch provided.
UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism
121 North Gate Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720
Requirements & Prerequisites
- This is an intermediate level workshop.
- All participants must bring their own WiFi-ready laptop for use during this workshop. Please see our laptop specifications for further technical requirements. Lenovo laptops are strongly discouraged due to performance issues with Adobe software. If you need to rent our laptop for any reason, it will be an additional $45 per day of rental.
- You must upgrade your operating system to the latest version before attending the course.
- You must have a working knowledge of the basics of Adobe Premiere. If you are a beginner, please see our Adobe Premiere tutorial.
- You will need to sign up for a 7-day trial of Adobe Creative Cloud (Premiere and After Effects) for use during the course.
- Before the course begins, you will be invited to a collaborative Box folder where the assets for the course will be stored. Please download the assets before the course begins, as these are large files that will take time.
- Optional: external hard drive to store large video files. Format your drive for Mac or PC.
- Please bring a pair of headphones to work with.
- The workshop is an intermediate to advanced graduate level workshop. Please contact us if you have questions about the pace or content.
- Participants must be comfortable with technical subjects and learning in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in English
Questions & Additional Information
The closest parking to North Gate Hall, where Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is located, is the Lower Hearst Parking Garage. For public parking, you must enter on the second floor via Scenic Ave and park next to a gold pillar. Many spots in this garage are permit parking only, so please be vigilant of posted signs. Parking is $2/hr, max $20/day.
Another option for parking is the Stadium Parking Garage, located under Maxwell Field and between California Memorial Stadium and the Greek Theater. Parking here is $25/day with variable hourly rates.
If you wish to utilize public transportation, North Gate Hall is about 15-20 minute walking distance from Downtown Berkeley BART Station. There are also multiple AC Transit bus lines that stop in front of the building.
For more information on different parking garages around campus, visit the UC Berkeley Parking and Transportation website.
• Cancellations must be received in writing by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Cancellations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $275.00 cancellation fee. We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
• Failure to appear for the training will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.
• Changes to the registration at anytime are only by approval of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute administration.
• The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute reserves the right to cancel or reschedule training due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of Berkeley Advanced Media Institute. In this case, applicants are entitled to a full refund of the program fee.
• The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute will advise applicants at the earliest opportunity of changes to schedule program. The Berkeley Advanced Media Institute is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred as a result of cancelled programs.
• If you purchased your class through CourseHorse, then our Refund & Cancellation policy applies to your purchase.
We currently do not offer transfer option between workshops. However, you may cancel the current workshop to receive a full refund less the cancellation fee and enroll in the preferred course. Please contact us directly at advancedmedia@journalism.
In-depth information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page. No video or audio recordings of the materials presented are permitted in any workshop.
September 24 - November 21, 2019
October 2-3, 2019
October 7 - November 20, 2019
October 10-11, 2019
October 17-18, 2019
November 9-10, 2019
January 6-10, 2020
January 7-10, 2020
New Date Coming Soon
New Date Coming Soon