Visual Essentials for Content Creators workshop is for journalists and communications professionals interested in building their video and multimedia skills set. This intensive one-week production course focuses on the art and craft of digital storytelling and features hands-on practical skills training.
Communicators seeking a rapid-paced immersive experience in best practices for telling stories on the web with video, photos and data will benefit from this training. Upon completion of this workshop, partipants will have the knowledge and tools necessary to apply their new skill set immediately.
Special Presentation By
The inspiring and captivating Richard Koci Hernandez, UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism, Assistant Professor, national Emmy award winning video and multimedia producer, author, and Pulitzer Prize nominee kicks off the workshop by sharing with his valuable insight and techniques on video storytelling that evoke emotion and increase engagement.
- Learn effective strategies for story planning, production and delivery using storyboarding.
- Use a DSLR camera and apply principles for capturing compelling images that captivate audiences.
- Learn and practice the fundamentals of digital video camera operations and techniques for shooting video.
- Experience hands-on video production editing using Final Cut Pro X, and create photo slideshows.
- Gain basic skills for working with spreadsheets and interactive databases.
- Use open-source data visualizations tools to illustrate complex numerical information.
Leave the training with a new understanding and appreciation of the use of video, photography and data to create engaging content, as well as a new set of skills that will make you a fluent visual media producer.
Who Should Attend?
Ideal for professionals who work as independent online publishers, editorial producers for traditional and new media companies, journalists, communication managers for professional associations, non-profit and government agencies, educators, museums, and corporations that publish print or online material.
Instructors & Facilitators
Instructors subject to change.
Len De Groot
Richard Koci Hernandez
Richard Koci Hernandez is a UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism faculty and a national Emmy award winning video and multimedia producer. His work has appeared in Time, Wired, The New York Times, a National Geographic book and international magazines. He has taught multimedia workshops for Stanford University, National Press Photographers Association, The Southern Short Course, and National Association for Black Journalists, among many others.
- Comfortable with learning new equipment and software
- Basic computer literacy and skills
- Proficiency in English (All instruction is delivered in English)