Digital Media Skills Certificate
Visual Essentials for Content Creators workshop is for journalists and communications professionals interested in building their video and multimedia skills set. This intensive one-week production course focuses on the art and craft of digital storytelling and features hands-on practical skills training.
OverviewThis workshop is ideal for professionals who work as independent online publishers, editorial producers for traditional and new media companies, journalists, communication managers for professional associations, non-profit and government agencies, educators, museums, and corporations that publish print or online material. Communicators seeking a rapid-paced immersive experience in best practices for telling stories on the web with video, photos and data will benefit from this training. Upon completion of this workshop, partipants will have the knowledge and tools necessary to apply their new skill set immediately.
Special Presentation ByThe inspiring and captivating Richard Koci Hernandez, UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism, Assistant Professor, national Emmy award winning video and multimedia producer, author, and Pulitzer Prize nominee kicks off the workshop by sharing with his valuable insight and techniques on video storytelling that evoke emotion and increase engagement. You will:
- Learn effective strategies for story planning, production and delivery using storyboarding.
- Use a DSLR camera and apply principles for capturing compelling images that captivate audiences.
- Learn and practice the fundamentals of digital video camera operations and techniques for shooting video.
- Experience hands-on video production editing using Final Cut Pro X, and create photo slideshows.
- Gain basic skills for working with spreadsheets and interactive databases.
- Use open-source data visualizations tools to illustrate complex numerical information.
InstructionPresentations by world-class trainers, award winning journalists and industry leaders, including Richard Koci Hernandez, Len De Groot, Jerry Monti.
AgendaAGENDA Coming Soon.
WhenDecember 10 through December 14, 2012 This institute is one-week in length. Instruction is Monday through Friday, 8:30 am- 4:30 pm daily.
WhereUniversity of California, Berkeley, near San Francisco. Graduate School of Journalism, North Gate Hall Map
TuitionRegistration for this workshop is closed.
- Comfortable with learning new equipment and software
- Basic computer literacy and skills
- Proficiency in English (All instruction is delivered in English)
Additional informationTravel, lodging and other information can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
QuestionsPlease contact Vicki Hammarstedt via phone at 510.642.3892 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cancellations must be received in writing by email or fax. A $250.00 fee will be assessed for canceled registrations.
- Cancelations made up to 15 days prior to the start of the institute program registered for will receive a refund of all monies less the $250.00 cancelation fee.
- Cancellation notices received 14 days or less from the start of the institute program registered for will result in a credit toward attendance at a future Berkeley Advanced Media Institute training program. We are unable to refund any fees for registrations cancelled within two weeks of the start of training.
- Failure to appear for the institutes will result in forfeiture of the full course fee.